Advertisement

Hero cockatiel mourned after saving teen from Llanelli fire

Cookie the cockatiel Credit: Wales News Service

A pet cockatiel has been hailed as a "hero" after alerting his owner to a fire in his home.

'Cookie' started squawking and flapping his wings to warn Ben Rees, 17, when an incense stick caused a fire to break out in his bedroom in Llanelli.

Embers from the stick set fire to Ben's bed while he was showering. Cookie flew into the bathroom and "dive-bombed" the teenager, which alerted him to the blaze.

Ben was able to make his way through the smoke and alert the fire brigade.

Sadly, Cookie perished in fire, leaving his owner "heartbroken".