A chimney sweep has been fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £2,500 in costs after his failure to remove a bird's nest from a chimney flue led to the death of a Maesteg pensioner.
Phillip Jones, of Porthcawl, was sentenced at Cardiff Crown Court following a prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive.
The court was told that 73-year-old retired miner Derwyn Rees who lived in Llangynwyd, Maesteg, had experienced problems keeping his solid fuel fire alight.
Mr Jones, who has been a sweep for 25 years, was asked to sweep the chimney and carried out the work in September 2008.
The next day – Mr Rees’ birthday - his neighbours noticed his curtains were still drawn and found him dead in his bed. Following a police-led investigation an inquest in October 2010 revealed he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Further investigations by HSE and a solid fuel specialist revealed an extensive bird’s nest inside the chimney.
They found that Mr Jones had encountered a blockage of the chimney while sweeping but did not check to see if his brush cleared the chimney pot which would indicate the blockage had been cleared.
In addition, he failed to carry out a proper smoke test after completing the job, give advice to Mr Rees on ventilating the property or give any verbal or written warning.
Mr Rees niece, Janet Jones, said:
“Derwyn’s death was an avoidable tragedy and has had a huge impact on the family. We hope this case sends a clear message to sweeps so that this sort of incident does not happen again and other people are not put at risk."
Further information on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning can be found on the HSE website at http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm
More top news
We had a few wintry flurries today, with snow falling over higher ground. It will dry out overnight, but frost and ice will form in places.
Campaigners hit out at a north Wales council after councillors backed plans to be the first in Wales with four-weekly bin collections.
A major crime review team raised concerns around the initial investigation, and the document was "a trigger" for the Surrey Police probe.