A chimney sweep has been fined £5,000 and ordered to pay £2,500 in costs after his failure to remove a bird's nest from a chimney flue led to the death of a Maesteg pensioner.
Phillip Jones, of Porthcawl, was sentenced at Cardiff Crown Court following a prosecution by the Health and Safety Executive.
The court was told that 73-year-old retired miner Derwyn Rees who lived in Llangynwyd, Maesteg, had experienced problems keeping his solid fuel fire alight.
Mr Jones, who has been a sweep for 25 years, was asked to sweep the chimney and carried out the work in September 2008.
The next day – Mr Rees’ birthday - his neighbours noticed his curtains were still drawn and found him dead in his bed. Following a police-led investigation an inquest in October 2010 revealed he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Further investigations by HSE and a solid fuel specialist revealed an extensive bird’s nest inside the chimney.
They found that Mr Jones had encountered a blockage of the chimney while sweeping but did not check to see if his brush cleared the chimney pot which would indicate the blockage had been cleared.
In addition, he failed to carry out a proper smoke test after completing the job, give advice to Mr Rees on ventilating the property or give any verbal or written warning.
Mr Rees niece, Janet Jones, said:
“Derwyn’s death was an avoidable tragedy and has had a huge impact on the family. We hope this case sends a clear message to sweeps so that this sort of incident does not happen again and other people are not put at risk."
Further information on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning can be found on the HSE website at http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/co.htm
More top news
A bike stuntman, known as the 'Kangaroo Kid', has been injured after falling off during a live performance at the Royal Welsh Show.
Amber Davies and Kem Cetinay are the favourites to win the popular ITV2 programme, which has frequently drawn in about two million viewers.
Research by Age Cymru found that 58% of those scammed said they were too embarrassed to report the scam to an official body.