The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the official opt-out register which allows people to state that they do not wish to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls.
- It is free to register your landline or mobile number with the TPS.
- It is a legal requirement that organisations including charities, the voluntary sector and political parties do not make such calls to TPS-registered numbers without consent.
- Most legitimate companies adhere to the TPS register.
- Some companies flout the law and continue to contact people registered with the TPS.
- It is unable to take enforcement action against companies complained about.
- It CAN pass complaints to the Information Commissioners Office, which has the power to enforce fines of up to £500,000.
You can register your landline or mobile number with the Telephone Preference Service by visiting www.tpsonline.org.uk
More top news
A Wales-based company is partnering with job centres to roll out an initiative to get people with mental health problems back into work.
A cut in tourism VAT could create almost 6,000 new jobs and generate an extra £160m a year for the Welsh economy, it has been claimed.
A wet start to the week with rain for most of us this morning. Things should brighten up this afternoon.