The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the official opt-out register which allows people to state that they do not wish to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls.
- It is free to register your landline or mobile number with the TPS.
- It is a legal requirement that organisations including charities, the voluntary sector and political parties do not make such calls to TPS-registered numbers without consent.
- Most legitimate companies adhere to the TPS register.
- Some companies flout the law and continue to contact people registered with the TPS.
- It is unable to take enforcement action against companies complained about.
- It CAN pass complaints to the Information Commissioners Office, which has the power to enforce fines of up to £500,000.
You can register your landline or mobile number with the Telephone Preference Service by visiting www.tpsonline.org.uk
More top news
Western areas will see the wet and windy stuff continue overnight! And then tomorrow - i'm very sorry to say - there is more of it to come!
Dolaucothi Gold Mines is among five locations battling it out to be crowned Wales' best place in this year's Special Places competition.
It's the latest in a series of incidents, despite safety measures being put in place after the death of an off-duty police officer in March.