The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the official opt-out register which allows people to state that they do not wish to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls.
- It is free to register your landline or mobile number with the TPS.
- It is a legal requirement that organisations including charities, the voluntary sector and political parties do not make such calls to TPS-registered numbers without consent.
- Most legitimate companies adhere to the TPS register.
- Some companies flout the law and continue to contact people registered with the TPS.
- It is unable to take enforcement action against companies complained about.
- It CAN pass complaints to the Information Commissioners Office, which has the power to enforce fines of up to £500,000.
You can register your landline or mobile number with the Telephone Preference Service by visiting www.tpsonline.org.uk
More top news
Fine and sunny tomorrow morning with lots of sunshine to start the day. Feeling colder though, with maximum temperatures of 13°C.
Kathryn Tresilian reports from the town where the body of a 47-year-old woman was found dismembered in Pontypridd on Friday.
Some bright spells this afternoon, with outbreaks of rain. Top temperature 15°C.