The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the official opt-out register which allows people to state that they do not wish to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls.
- It is free to register your landline or mobile number with the TPS.
- It is a legal requirement that organisations including charities, the voluntary sector and political parties do not make such calls to TPS-registered numbers without consent.
- Most legitimate companies adhere to the TPS register.
- Some companies flout the law and continue to contact people registered with the TPS.
- It is unable to take enforcement action against companies complained about.
- It CAN pass complaints to the Information Commissioners Office, which has the power to enforce fines of up to £500,000.
You can register your landline or mobile number with the Telephone Preference Service by visiting www.tpsonline.org.uk
More top news
Temperatures will tumble under clear skies tonight with a widespread frost developing.
Police found more than 20 cannabis plants, a small amount of cocaine and a prohibited stun-gun at the home of Richard Williams.
Finance Secretary Mark Drakeford and his Scottish and Northern Irish counterparts demand no further public spending cuts in the UK Budget.