The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the official opt-out register which allows people to state that they do not wish to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls.
- It is free to register your landline or mobile number with the TPS.
- It is a legal requirement that organisations including charities, the voluntary sector and political parties do not make such calls to TPS-registered numbers without consent.
- Most legitimate companies adhere to the TPS register.
- Some companies flout the law and continue to contact people registered with the TPS.
- It is unable to take enforcement action against companies complained about.
- It CAN pass complaints to the Information Commissioners Office, which has the power to enforce fines of up to £500,000.
You can register your landline or mobile number with the Telephone Preference Service by visiting www.tpsonline.org.uk
More top news
Two men who took part in a terrifying robbery at a rural store near Mold – when staff were threatened with a large machete - are jailed.
From the HTV Cymru archives here's the 1969 hit by legendary singing duo Toni ac Aloma singing about a village cafe on Anglesey.
The whale was rescued last week and helped back into the sea. Environmentalists "sad" to find it had subsequently died.