The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the official opt-out register which allows people to state that they do not wish to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls.
- It is free to register your landline or mobile number with the TPS.
- It is a legal requirement that organisations including charities, the voluntary sector and political parties do not make such calls to TPS-registered numbers without consent.
- Most legitimate companies adhere to the TPS register.
- Some companies flout the law and continue to contact people registered with the TPS.
- It is unable to take enforcement action against companies complained about.
- It CAN pass complaints to the Information Commissioners Office, which has the power to enforce fines of up to £500,000.
You can register your landline or mobile number with the Telephone Preference Service by visiting www.tpsonline.org.uk
More top news
Insurance company Admiral is creating 193 customer service and sales jobs. This will add to the 6000 people it currently employs in Wales.
Subsidies to landowners should be conditional on them allowing mobile phone masts on their land, according to a National Assembly Committee.
Tata Steel have formally unveiled the merger of their European steel operations with German company Thyssenkrupp