The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the official opt-out register which allows people to state that they do not wish to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls.
- It is free to register your landline or mobile number with the TPS.
- It is a legal requirement that organisations including charities, the voluntary sector and political parties do not make such calls to TPS-registered numbers without consent.
- Most legitimate companies adhere to the TPS register.
- Some companies flout the law and continue to contact people registered with the TPS.
- It is unable to take enforcement action against companies complained about.
- It CAN pass complaints to the Information Commissioners Office, which has the power to enforce fines of up to £500,000.
You can register your landline or mobile number with the Telephone Preference Service by visiting www.tpsonline.org.uk
More top news
As one road safety charity calls for tougher punishments for those who break the law, we're asking you for your opinion on the issue.
Wales international Eli Walker has signed a new deal with the Ospreys, keeping him at the Liberty Stadium until the summer of 2017.
A major high street retailer has removed a 'potentially dangerous' mobile phone charger from its shops following an ITV Wales investigation.