The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is the official opt-out register which allows people to state that they do not wish to receive unsolicited sales or marketing calls.
- It is free to register your landline or mobile number with the TPS.
- It is a legal requirement that organisations including charities, the voluntary sector and political parties do not make such calls to TPS-registered numbers without consent.
- Most legitimate companies adhere to the TPS register.
- Some companies flout the law and continue to contact people registered with the TPS.
- It is unable to take enforcement action against companies complained about.
- It CAN pass complaints to the Information Commissioners Office, which has the power to enforce fines of up to £500,000.
You can register your landline or mobile number with the Telephone Preference Service by visiting www.tpsonline.org.uk
More top news
The future of vast areas of the Great Orme in Llandudno has been safeguarded by the National Trust. It's thanks to a 50 year campaign.
WEA Cymru, which runs integration courses for non-EU migrants, says counter-extremism schemes must not 'dictate' to communities here.
Choir wins public vote, while judges pick dancers ahead of 12-year-old singer-songwriter Henry Gallagher.