The Winter Wellness campaign is being run throughout October, and encourages older people in particular to visit their local pharmacy to find out how to stay well over the winter months.
It coincides with the start of NHS flu vaccinations for over-65s - and they are part of the checklist targeted by the 714 community pharmacies throughout Wales involved:
- Flu and flu jabs
- Smoking and smoking cessation services
- High blood pressure and medicines checks
- Long-term conditions and medicines reviews
- Hospital stays and medicine reconciliation on returning home
More people die in Wales in the winter than in summer months, as illustrated by figures from the Office for National Statistics:
- There were 1,300 excess winter deaths in Wales in 2011-12
- 80 per cent of those winter deaths were people over 65 years of age
More top news
Kyle Vaughan was last seen on 30th December 2012. His parents Alan and Mary say all they want for Christmas is to lay him to rest.
People in Wales are being forced to take temporary work as there are too few permanent jobs being created, according to Wales TUC.
The training centre and headquarters of Girlguiding Cymru in Powys, is laying claim to having the tallest living Christmas tree in the UK.