The Winter Wellness campaign is being run throughout October, and encourages older people in particular to visit their local pharmacy to find out how to stay well over the winter months.
It coincides with the start of NHS flu vaccinations for over-65s - and they are part of the checklist targeted by the 714 community pharmacies throughout Wales involved:
- Flu and flu jabs
- Smoking and smoking cessation services
- High blood pressure and medicines checks
- Long-term conditions and medicines reviews
- Hospital stays and medicine reconciliation on returning home
More people die in Wales in the winter than in summer months, as illustrated by figures from the Office for National Statistics:
- There were 1,300 excess winter deaths in Wales in 2011-12
- 80 per cent of those winter deaths were people over 65 years of age
More top news
The Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall's summer tour continues as His Royal Highness officially opens a new Baking Academy in Wrexham.
At a ceremony in Downing Street today 4 British soldiers - including a nurse from Llandrindod Wells - will receive medals for their bravery
A report commissioned by the Alzheimer's Society estimates that in 2013, the total cost of dementia in Wales was £1.4 billion.