Newport City Council has responded to an open letter by actor Michael Sheen, criticising it for demolishing the city's Chartist Mural.
The council says the decision to remove the mural was made last year.
It says Sheen's letter is "interesting" and "contains some practical suggestions which the council will consider."
His ideas include looking into the possibility of students from art schools and design courses working on a new commemoration of the Chartist uprising of 1839.
The Hollywood star, who was born in Newport and grew up in Port Talbot, took out a full-page advert in the South Wales Argus to write about the 'absurd and tragic' decision to demolish the mural.
The mural’s future has been on public record since March 2012, when a planning decision and separate public consultation confirmed that the mural would have to be demolished and the preferred option as a result of the consultation was for it to be reproduced on tiles.
More recently, as Cadw did not list the mural and Newport City Council did not have £625,000 to remove and preserve it, we understand that these decisions have been difficult to accept for Newport residents both near and far.
The council found Mr Sheen’s letter very interesting. It is forward-thinking and contains some practical suggestions which the council will consider.
We also echo Mr Sheen’s call to “focus on how we can celebrate the past, connect it to the present and look hopefully to the future”.
We are currently asking all members of the public to give us their views on a new commemoration of the Chartists details of which are on the council’s website.
More top news
Mild and muggy overnight, but just be aware, we have a weather warning issued for Wales for tomorrow!
Kirsty Williams successfully defended her Brecon seat, but her party lost four others in a disastrous night.
The body of 75-year-old Iris Owens from Ystrad Mynach was found on Tuesday.