The Welsh Government has confirmed figures which show the extent of difficulties caused by emergency pressures faced by hospitals last winter. The Deputy Chief Executive of NHS Wales, Kevin Flynn, told Assembly Members earlier that hospitals are still dealing with a backlog of postponed operations.
He told the Public Accounts committee that hospitals are on course to catch-up and are prepared for the coming winter. You can see his evidence here and the evidence of the Chief Executive David Sissling, but here are the figures:
- 2,600 operations postponed during the winter months of 2012/13
- That equates to less than 1% of the 250,000 operations carried out every year
- At the end of August 13,147 patients were waiting longer than 36 weeks for surgery
- That's a rise of 2,038 compared to the end of July
- Early figures show the number of patients waiting longer than 36 weeks fell in September to just over 12,000
More top news
Charities in Wales say thousands of low-income families with disabled children could be missing out on grants, because of government cuts.
Tuesday will have a murky start with widespread fog, mist and low cloud.
A plan to secure the future of Port Talbot steelworks will be unveiled to staff on Wednesday, ITV News understands.