1. Wales

Llandow recycling centre fire

South Wales firefighters had to use thousands of litres of water to tackle a fire at a recycling centre in Llandow. The blaze started yesterday evening and took hours to get under control.

View all 8 updates ›

'No asbestos' in fire-damaged part of Llandow site

The fire... involves approximately 1,000 tonnes of non-hazardous mixed household waste.

At a multi-agency emergency meeting on Wednesday, 6 November 2013, involving South Wales Fire & Rescue Service, South Wales Police, Public Health Wales, Natural Resources Wales and the Vale of Glamorgan Council, it was confirmed that although a small amount of asbestos is present in the roof of the affected building, the roof remains intact.

The fire has resulted in a smoke plume, likely to contain fine dust particles and products of combustion.

An acrid smell has also been reported in the area. Members of the public in the surrounding area are being advised to keep doors and windows closed as a precaution.

Air and water quality will be assessed to determine any potential impact on local health and the environment.

– Vale of Glamorgan Council spokesperson

More top news