- Turn off unnecessary lights rather than leaving them on. Using TVs and appliances on 'standby' can waste electricity too
- Use draught excluders for doors, windows and fireplaces
- Increase loft insulation to limit the heat that escapes
- When using a kettle, just boil the amount of water you need instead of filling it up!
- Set your washing machines to operate at a lower temperature
- Change your light bulbs for low-energy ones
- For a shower that takes hot water from a boiler, replace your shower head with a more water-efficient one
- Turn the thermostat down by even just one degree.
- Take the opportunity of windy weather to dry laundry outside rather than in a tumble dryer
- Consider cavity wall insulation to keep the heat in.
More top news
Hundreds of steelworkers will march today to highlight the their industry crisis as a shortlist of bidders is drawn up for Tata's UK assets.
Sunshine will be at a premium today, with largely grey and overcast skies! But at least it should remain dry!
A dry night with clear spells in the west. Temperatures will fall, with thickening cloud inland by the early hours.