As the world marks Internet Safety Day today, the NSPCC warns that the safety of young people online is a growing problem.
Below we've listed some tips for helping your children stay safe online.
- Ask your child what they do online
- Let your child teach you how to use social networking and games
- Know who your child is talking to online
- Set rules and agree boundaries
- Make sure the content their looking at is age-appropriate
- Use parental and privacy controls
- Check the privacy settings on any online account your children have
- Have conversations early and often
- Most sites have 'reporting tools,' make sure your child knows how to find them
- Seek further advice
More top news
A decent start to the day with sunny spells. Breezy in the west and feeling noticeably cooler.
Tributes have been paid after two Matalan employees were allegedly stabbed to death near the city centre store where they worked.
A damp start to the night with heavy rain spreading southwards. It will clear by the early hours to leave a dry start tomorrow.