As the world marks Internet Safety Day today, the NSPCC warns that the safety of young people online is a growing problem.
Below we've listed some tips for helping your children stay safe online.
- Ask your child what they do online
- Let your child teach you how to use social networking and games
- Know who your child is talking to online
- Set rules and agree boundaries
- Make sure the content their looking at is age-appropriate
- Use parental and privacy controls
- Check the privacy settings on any online account your children have
- Have conversations early and often
- Most sites have 'reporting tools,' make sure your child knows how to find them
- Seek further advice
More top news
Patchy rain and drizzle will continue this evening and overnight. Winds will remain brisk with temperature staying on the mild side.
With Christmas around the corner, we'd like to see your pets getting in the spirit in their festive outfits.
ITV News has spoken to one social worker who says the system is unsafe, blighted by bullying and high case loads.