Judges praised Rhossili Bay for its "vast stretch of sand" and "towering cliffs", and stressed its popularity with "surfers, paragliders and ramblers".
Here is the top ten of UK beaches, in descending order:
- Rhossili Bay, Swansea, Wales
- Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, Devon
- Porthminster Beach, St Ives, Cornwall
- Hengistbury Head, Bournemouth, Dorset
- Perranporth Beach, Perranporth, Cornwall
- Longsands Beach, Tynemouth, North Tyneside
- Weymouth Beach, Weymouth, Dorset
- Fistral Beach, Newquay, Cornwall
- Sandbanks, Poole, Dorset
- Nairn Beach, Nairn, Scotland
More top news
Well a fabulous day today has ended on a spectacularly soggy note for some! Heavy rain, hail and thunder will work northwards overnight!
The Talyllyn runs from Tywyn, near Aberdovey, for more than seven miles to two villages in the south Gwynedd countryside.
Homes in parts of Tonypandy and Llwynypia are without water this evening due to a burst water main at Cilfynydd.