Judges praised Rhossili Bay for its "vast stretch of sand" and "towering cliffs", and stressed its popularity with "surfers, paragliders and ramblers".
Here is the top ten of UK beaches, in descending order:
- Rhossili Bay, Swansea, Wales
- Woolacombe Beach, Woolacombe, Devon
- Porthminster Beach, St Ives, Cornwall
- Hengistbury Head, Bournemouth, Dorset
- Perranporth Beach, Perranporth, Cornwall
- Longsands Beach, Tynemouth, North Tyneside
- Weymouth Beach, Weymouth, Dorset
- Fistral Beach, Newquay, Cornwall
- Sandbanks, Poole, Dorset
- Nairn Beach, Nairn, Scotland
More top news
In this today's Newsweek Wales, Carl talks about cancer survival rates in Wales and the search for volunteers to train guide dog puppies.
It'll be brighter today with some lingering blustery showers. This evening it'll be colder under clear skies, with isolated showers.
Gareth Bale put any domestic troubles behind him as he starred in Wales' emphatic 3-0 win over Israel in Haifa.