Inquest finds 'gross failures' over teen's meningitis death

Cwm Taf University Health Board has apologised after a 13-year-old boy died from meningitis when he was given paracetamol instead of antibiotics at Prince Charles Hospital last year.

View all 3 updates ›

Health board apologises to family of Thomas Smith

Cwm Taf University Health Board has apologised after '*gross failures' were made at one of its hospitals *when a 13-year-old boy died whilst suffering with meningitis.

Allison Williams, Chief Executive at the health board said:

“I would like to extend my sincere apologies to the parents of Thomas George Smith for the loss of their son.“This is an extremely sad case and we deeply regret that there were failings in the care that Thomas received whilst at Prince Charles Hospital.

“As noted during the inquest, the Health Board undertook an investigation which identified lessons learned and recommendations to ensure this will never happen again.

“A number of changes have already been made to address the failings identified.

“Following the conclusion of the inquest, the Health Board will now consider the Coroner’s findings and continue to implement the changes required to address any failings in service.”

More top news