Advertisement

Takeaway owner fined £100 for nuts in curry

The owner of an indian takeaway has pleaded guilty to breaching the Food Safety Act by selling a chicken tikka meal containing nuts.

A man was hospitalised after eating almonds in curry from a Rhyl takeaway. Credit: PA

A customer who ordered a curry on-line had stated “No nuts” – but when it arrived it contained almond powder, magistrates at Llandudno heard.

The man took three mouthfuls then became very ill because of a nut allergy, according to the prosecution, but was discharged from hospital the same night.

The owner of the Chilli Pink Express Takeaway at Rhyl, Shakeel Aslam, 41, pleaded guilty to breaching the Food Safety Act.

A defence solicitor said “No Nuts” had been stated in a suggestion box but when a note had been taken to a chef he hadn’t noticed it. It was human error and steps had now been taken to ensure it wouldn't happen again. Aslam was fined £100 with costs of £570