Locust in salad bag - nurse gets 'shock of my life'

A woman had the "shock of her life" when she found a five-inch long locust in her Tesco salad.

Tesco sent a £10 voucher after a locust was found in a salad bag. Credit: Geoff Abbott

The woman who asked not to be named said she was too tired to wash the leaves which she would normally do after buying it at a store in Prestatyn.

I buy bags and bags of salads but that put me off for weeks.

It was very cold and there was a little bit of eye movement and one of its antenna was moving.

I put it in the garden then realised that was a mistake so ran back outside but it had gone. I think a blackbird might have eaten it.

It scared the living daylights out of me and I freaked out.

When I picked the bag up I thought that's a bit heavier than usual and then I had the shock of my life.

– Nurse from Prestatyn
The locust may have been eaten by a garden bird. Credit: Geoff Abbott

The nurse took the salad bag back to Tesco the next morning and it was sent off for an investigation. The woman then received a letter and a voucher for £10.

A spokesman for Tesco said, "We set ourselves very high standards for the safety and quality of our food."