Funeral held of Welsh grandmother killed in Tunisia attack

The funeral of a Blackwood woman who was one of the victims of the Tunisian beach massacre has taken place in her home town.

Trudy Jones, 51, was on holiday with her friends on the resort of Sousse when a gunman opened fire, claiming the lives of 38 people.

She was described by residents at the care home where she worked as an 'absolute angel.'

View all 36 updates ›

Tunisia hero leaves hospital just 12 days after being shot three times

Matthew James was shot three times protecting his fiance Saera Wilson Credit: Saera Wilson

A hero who acted as a human shield for his fiancée in the Tunisia terror attack left hospital today - just 12 days after being shot three times.

Mathew James, 30, threw his body over fiancee Saera Wilson, 26, as he was shot by the IS terrorist gunman.

Engineer Mathew pushed Saera away and told her: "I love you babe. But just go - tell our children that their daddy loves them."

The father-of-two was saved by Tunisian surgeons who brought him back from the dead after his heart stopped on the operating table.

Matthew and Saera enjoying their holiday before the terror attack. Credit: Saera Wilson

He was flown back to Britain by a specialist air ambulance team two days later to recover in the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff where he was discharged today.

After the attack Saera said: "He took a bullet for me. I owe him my life because he threw himself in front of me when the shooting started."

Prime Minister David Cameron said he had been "moved" by his brave and "courageous" actions.

Matthew has left hospital just 12 days after being shot three times Credit: Saera Wilson

Gas engineer Mathew and Saera from Pontypridd, South Wales, thanked the British public for all the support and kind messages they have received since returning to the country.

In a joint message they said: "We would like to thank all the medical staff at the hospital for the treatment and care I am receiving."

More on this story