Fire officers and gas engineers were called to reports of a gas leak at WH Smith in Queen Street today.
Cardiff's fire station commander Justin Jones said the combination of high gas readings and an electrical fault in the shop's basement caused a "perfect storm" and had to be dealt with immediately.
Parts of Queen Street were immediately evacuated including nearby shops.
The fire service says the cordon will remain in place for another few hours.
More top news
A dull and damp start to the week for much of Wales, with eastern areas enjoying the best of any sunshine!
The family's solicitor said they are "losing patience and faith" in the inquiry which is looking into Mr Sargeant's sacking.
A 30-12 win over Argentina in Santa Fe pushed Wales into third in World Rugby's rankings.