Live updates

Lifeguards rescue 10-year-old girl and man from rip tide

Two people were rescued by lifeguards this morning after they were caught in a rip tide off Newgale Beach.

A child and man were rescued off Newgale Beach today. Credit: Matthew Baker

The child was bodyboarding off Newgale North beach when she got caught in a rip current at around 11.30am today. The man spotted the girl in trouble and swam out to help her but was also caught in the rip tide.

Two lifeguards grabbed rescue boards and paddled out to save them. The pair were brought back to the beach and assessed but found "thankfully unharmed" according to the RNLI.

It has prompted warnings from the lifesaving charity who say they have rescued six body boarders in waters off Pembrokeshire this week.

If you’re heading to the coast this weekend please remember to respect the water and swim at a lifeguarded beach. If you spot someone in trouble please don’t attempt the rescue yourself – either tell a lifeguard or phone 999 and ask for the Coastguard.

– Stuart Penfold, RNLI Lifeguard Supervisor

RNLI lifeguards provide a daily safety service on both Newgale North and South beach from 10am-6pm throughout the summer season.

Body of grandmother killed in Tunisia returns today

The bodies of nine British victims of the Tunisian beach massacre were this afternoon being flown home, as the final UK death toll was confirmed at 30.

Among the dead being flown into Brize Norton air base in Oxfordshire will be Trudy Jones from Blackwood.

Trudy Jones was killed in the terror attacks in Tunisia last Friday. Credit: Gwent Police / Family Photo

The 51-year-old grandmother was described by residents at the Blackwood care home where she worked as an "absolute angel".

More: Tributes to Welsh grandmother killed in Tunisia shooting

Eight Britons killed in the terror attack were brought back to British soil on Wednesday, further flights are expected tomorrow and Saturday.

British nationals made up the majority of the 38 killed by gunman Seifeddine Rezgui when he opened fire on holidaymakers on a beach in the resort of Sousse on Friday - along with three Irish nationals, two Germans, one Belgian, one Portuguese and one Russian.

Advertisement

Police evacuate 30 homes after discovery of 'suspicious package'

Gwent Police have evacuated 30 homes in Newport this morning following the discovery of a suspicious package.

Officers did so as a safety precaution after the discovery of the package at a property in Graig Park Villas.

A 50 metre cordon has been put in place and the bomb disposal unit has been called. Officers are currently assessing the package.

Police have evacuated 30 homes in Newport Credit: PA

A nearby primary school Tweeted parents to say the police had told them there was no threat to pupils.

Support line set up to support Tunisian victims

A dedicated phone line has been set up to support victims and relatives of the Tunisian terror attacks.

Tunisian terror victims will be supported by phone line Credit: Mark Witty

Set up by the Welsh Government, the Wales Tunisian Support Line will provide a "confidential listening and emotional support service" for Welsh citizens returning from Tunisia - or for friends or relatives caught up in last week’s events in Sousse.

The world has been united in its shock at the horrendous attack in Tunisia. It is our duty to make sure we are ready to offer any assistance we can as we deal with the aftermath of this tragedy.

– Mark Drakeford, Health and Social Services Minister

The number - Freephone: 0800 107 0900 or text 'help' to 81066 - will be manned by trained staff and will be available 24-hours a day for the foreseeable future.

Welsh man shot in Tunisia attack 'will be in hospital for two more weeks'

Mathew James and Saera Wilson Credit: Facebook - Saera Wilson

Two Welsh survivors of the Tunisia beach massacre have thanked everyone for their support.

Mathew James and Saera Wilson have also said that it would be "disrespectful to be talking openly about how lucky we are, when other families have lost so much."

We both feel its inappropriate to speak to the media about our ordeal until all of the British victims have been formally identified and repatriated back to the UK. We think it would be disrespectful to be talking openly about how lucky we are, when other families have lost so much.

– Mathew James and Saera Wilson

Mathew is expected to be hospital for a further two weeks.

Advertisement

Welshman shot in Tunisia attack nominated for life saving medal

A Welsh tourist who was shot three times during a terrorist attack on a Tunisian beach has been nominated for a Life Saving Medal by St. John Cymru – Wales.

Credit: Facebook - Saera Wilson

Matthew James, 30, a gas engineer from Trehafod, near Pontypridd, used his body as a human shield to save his fiancée, Sarah Wilson .

Matthew, who is now back in Wales in hospital in Cardiff was hit in the shoulder, chest and hip.

St John Cymru – Wales has announced that they are nominating Mr James for a Life Saving Medal for his act of bravery.

St. John has a number of Awards that recognise outstanding bravery, and from what has been reported, Mr James’s actions certainly warrant recognition. We will be asking our Honours and Awards Committee to nominate Mr James for consideration of the Order’s Life Saving Medal for his actions

– Keith Dunn, Chief Executive of St John Cymru Wales

Watch: Abertillery man explains why he's staying in Tunisia

Many Welsh holiday makers have come back early from the resorts in Tunisia, but some have stayed on, determined that the terror attack won't drive them out.

ITV News Correspondent Richard Gaisford has been speaking to Ron Boden from Abertillery, who was on the beach as the attack took place.

PM confirms national minute's silence for Tunisia victims

David Cameron: '"I know the whole country will want to share in a moment of remembrance'. Credit: ITV Wales

Prime Minister David Cameron has confirmed that there will be a national minute of silence on Friday at 12noon to remember the victims of the terror attack in Tunisia.

Eighteen Britons are confirmed to have died in the attack, including Trudy Jones from Blackwood, and the final death toll is expected to rise.

Colleagues pay tribute to Tunisia victim

Colleagues of a Blackwood killed in the terror attacks in Tunisia last week have paid tribute to her.

Trudy Jones worked at a care home in Blackwood. Staff there say she 'had a smile for everyone'.

Trudy Jones was killed in the terror attacks in Tunisia last week Credit: Family photo

She was meant to be back in work tomorrow, and we were all expecting her to be back. I am speaking to the residents and the staff and they're all in shock.

She had a joke for everyone, she had a smile for everyone, she had time for everyone. It is a great loss to us. It's not a work colleague we have lost, it's a family member.

– Shawkat Khan, Care home manager

Prayers will be said in her memory this afternoon.

Load more updates