Live updates

Two arrested over Barry Rubery murder

Barry Rubery was found dead at his home in 2010.

Detectives investigating the murder of Barry Rubery, from Iron Acton, near Bristol, have arrested two men.

Mr Rubery, 68, was found dead at his home on April 28 2010.

The two men, aged 30 and 19, were arrested yesterday evening at addresses in Bristol and Peterborough.

They are in custody and are being questioned at a police station in Avon and Somerset.

Advertisement

Next phase of repairs begin on Kelston Road

Work to fix damaged Kelston Road continues as huge piling rig is installed

The huge piling rig is up and running alongside the damaged part of Kelston Rd.

It will drill the concrete foundations into the ground - up to 15 metres below the damaged road in an effort to provide better protection after part of the ground subsided.

Meanwhile, Mike Watts who runs the toll road running alongside Kelston Rd says he has hit the 100,000 car mark raising around £180,000 of the £300,000 he needs to break even.

New foundations to be laid on flood-hit road

The A431 has been closed since February Credit: ITV News Westcountry

The next phase of work to repair a flood-damaged road between Bristol and Bath is due to begin today. Part of the A431 Kelston Road was shut in February amid fears there could be a landslip after part of the road subsided.

Today a huge piling rig will drill concrete foundations up to 15 metres below the ground. The road expected to fully re-open by the end of the year.

Family await news of missing Bristol teenager

The family of a missing girl from Bristol believed to be heading to join extremists in Syria are still waiting for news.

The 15-year-old is thought to have met up with a 17-year-old girl from London and headed to Turkey, where they are trying to cross the border into Syria. The teenager vanished from home last week amid fears she's been radicalised.

Advertisement

  1. West Country (W)

The father who relies on giveaways to feed his family

Taunton Foodbank says people from all walks of life are having to use their service. A few have been so desperate they've walked to town from Wellington and back with their supplies, a round trip of 14 miles.

People in need of help are referred from a number of charities, churches or by a doctor. The Foodbank is low on supplies after feeding more families than usual during the school holidays. Children from families with low incomes would get a free dinner during term time.

A lot of foodbank users shun publicity because they are embarrassed but 27 year old Dale Fussell explained why he is at the foodbank. His benefit was cut six weeks ago from £72 a week to £36 because he'd missed two job centre assessments. He lives with his partner and their five month old daughter. In addition to their rent being paid, they get £20 child benefit a week.

Melanie Hall detectives ask CPS for decision on charges

Melanie Hall, who was murdered in 1996 Credit: Avon & Somerset Police

Detectives investigating the murder of the Bath woman Melanie Hall in 1996 have now asked the Crown Prosecution Service for a decision on whether to charge a suspect.

A 45-year-old man, who was arrested at his home in the city last November on suspicion of murder, has today been further bailed until the beginning of December while the CPS considers the evidence against him.

Melanie Hall was 25 when she was last seen at a nightclub in Bath city centre. Her remains were found on a motorway slip road in South Gloucestershire on October 5, 2009.

Load more updates Back to top