1. ITV Report

Late penalty denies City a win

Thomas Ince earns Blackpool a point with a last minute penalty at Ashton Gate. Photo: Simon Galloway/EMPICS Sport



Bottom-of-the-table Bristol City ended a run of seven straight defeats, but were denied a win by a last minute penalty.

The home side opened the scoring from the penalty spot nine minutes from time. Albert Adomah was brought down in the area by Blackpool goalkeeper Matthew Gilks, and substitute Steven Davies scored from the spot with his first touch of the ball.

But Thomas Ince equalised for the visitors with their own spot kick in the final minute, after debutant Matthew Bates was adjudged to have handled in the box.

Neil Kilkenny drilled the ball against the bar from 35 yards out in the first half, but City were indebted to goalkeeper Tom Heaton who made several good saves, including a point-blank stop from Ince.

Blackpool's Kevin Phillips shields the ball from Bristol City's Stephen Pearson. Credit: Simon Galloway/EMPICS Sport

I just don't see how the referee could have been sure Matthew Bates handled. I have watched the incident five or six times and I still can't tell whether it was a penalty.

My understanding is that officials have to be sure so I think we have been hard done by. I also felt there was a foul on one of our players in the build-up.

It hasn't been an easy time for anyone associated with the club, but there were a lot of positives to take out of today's game and it is something to build on.

– Derek McInnes, Bristol City manager
Bristol City's Marvin Elliott challenges Blackpool's Elliot Grandin. Credit: Simon Galloway/EMPICS Sport


James Collins scored twice for Swindon against Yeovil. Credit: Nick Potts/PA Wire

Swindon thrashed West Country rivals Yeovil at the County Ground, with James Collins scoring twice for the home side.

Andy Williams gave Swindon a 24th minute lead against his former club. The striker, who was Yeovil's top scorer last season, ran from the half-way line before slotting past Marek Stech.

Four minutes later, Town had doubled their advantage. Joe Devera crossed for Collins to stab home Swindon’s second.

James Hayter pulled a goal back four minutes before the break. His header crashed off the bar and downwards, with the referee’s assistant saying the ball had crossed the line - despite Wes Foderingham pushing the ball away.

But Swindon's two-goal cushion was soon restored when defender Darren Ward scored from close range.

In the second half, Paddy Madden headed just over for Yeovil, before Collins wrapped up the points with his second goal in stoppage time - curling the ball in from 15 yards.


David Clarkson gave Rovers the lead from the penalty spot at Rochdale. Credit: John Walton/EMPICS Sport

Bristol Rovers were beaten 2-1 at Rochdale, despite taking the lead through David Clarkson's penalty.

Clarkson netted from the spot in the 14th minute after Wayne Brown was fouled in the area.

The goal sparked Rochdale into life, and the home side dominated the rest of the half. Rovers' goalkeeper Neil Etheridge was in fine form, making a string of fine saves.

But he could do nothing about Andrew Tutte's close range equaliser, which came from a short corner.

The home side's winning goal came just before the hour mark. Bobby Grant’s curling effort from the edge of the area was deflected up and into the net by the head of Fabien Broghammer.

And worse was to follow for Rovers, who ended the match with nine men after having Garry Kenneth and Eliot Richards sent off.

Kenneth was dismissed in the 71st minute for a second bookable offence, while substitute Richards was shown a straight red for a challenge on Ashley Grimes in stoppage time.

Keith Lowe scored in the first minute for Cheltenham at Rotherham. Credit: EMPICS Sport

Cheltenham's good run of form was ended by Rotherham in a six-goal thriller at the New York Stadium.

Keith Lowe had put Town ahead in the very first minute - volleying in Billy Jones' corner. But the lead only lasted three minutes, as Danny Nardiello headed Rotherham level.

The goals continued in the first half from Ben Pringle's low drive and Nardiello, scoring his second of the afternoon.

Chris Zebroski fired the Robins back into the game in the 31st minute when Darren Carter's floated pass found Jermaine McGlashan, and his shot was deflected into the path of the striker.

Cheltenham pushed for an equaliser after the break with Jeff Goulding and Shaun Harrad coming close. But Lee Frecklington's last minute strike secured the points for the home side.

More on this story