1. ITV Report

City ripped apart by Wolves

Bristol City manager Derek McInnes. Photo: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire.



Wolves recorded an emphatic away win to ease the pressure on their manager Ståle Solbakken, but increase the pressure on City boss Derek McInnes.

Solbakken's side came into this match without a win in nine games, their worst sequence at this level for 21 years, but they blew away City in a fantastic first half.

The Robins are the only team in the Football League yet to keep a clean sheet and so it was no surprise when Sylvan Ebanks-Blake opened the scoring in the 20th minute. Liam Fontaine cleared a corner only as far as Stephen Ward, whose fine volley was diverted in by the former Manchester United trainee.

The lead was doubled just four minutes later when a fine move ended with Kevin Doyle bundling Bjorn Sigurdarson's cross from the right flank past Tom Heaton.

The Ireland international had only scored three times in 19 appearances this season but netted his second in just 16 first-half minutes with a wonderful solo goal. The former Reading striker picked the ball up in his own half and ran unchallenged before slotting home.

And just a minute before half-time the visitors made sure of their first three points in 10 games with another fine move, finished off with a left-foot shot across Heaton from Sigurdarson after Ebanks-Blake teed him up.

McInnes introduced Sam Baldock at half-time but Wolves picked up where they left off with Doyle coming close to a hat-trick on two occasions, the first was cleared off the line by Matthew Bates and his second effort was saved by Heaton.

City were then inches away from finding themselves five down when Johnson met a corner with a header that bounced off Heaton's bar.

Baldock then had his side's best chance of the game when Foster found him 10 yards out but he could not test Carl Ikeme.

Neil Danns had a low drive saved by the Wolves keeper before the Leicester loanee netted a consolation in style from 25 yards with five minutes to go.


Bristol Rovers manager Mark McGhee. Credit: Neal Simpson/EMPICS Sport

Struggling Bristol Rovers slipped to their third defeat in four games after a disappointing 2-0 loss at Wycombe.

This was a re-arranged match after the original game in August was abandoned after 65 minutes with Rovers winning 3-1. Unfortunately Mark McGhee's men couldn't repeat that scoreline.

The home side opened the scoring in the 11th minute. A ball upfield found Joel Grant on the halfway line, and he skipped past two challenges on his way into the box, before firing past Sam Walker.

Matt Lund almost got Rovers back into the game, but his powerful header was inches over. He then saw a long range effort drift wide of the post.

The Pirates kept up the pressure in the second half, but they couldn't find a way past home goalkeeper Jordan Archer.

The home side then scored their second goal when player-manager Gareth Ainsworth came off the bench to head past Walker.

And Rovers miserable afternoon was complete when Lund was given a straight red in the final minute for a foul on Stuart Lewis.


Dorchester Town manager Phil Simkin. Credit: Andrew Matthews/PA Archive

Dorchester Town's FA Cup adventure is over. Goals from Andre Gray and Alex Lawless were enough to book Luton's place in the FA Cup third round with a 2-1 triumph, despite a late rally from Dorchester at Kenilworth Road.

The Blue Square Bet Premier side looked to be cruising after goals either side of half-time from Gray and Lawless against their Blue Square Bet South opponents.

However, Arran Pugh's 71st minute header rekindled the Magpies' hopes and Luton goalkeeper Mark Tyler needed to be at his best to ensure the home side's progression.

Dorchester's first chance came when Nathan Walker headed down for Mark Jermyn but the Magpies' skipper could only shoot over.

Scott Rendell curled a shot wide in the 15th minute and Lawless headed over at the back post 10 minutes later for Luton as the hosts began to assert themselves.

The Hatters took the lead after 29 minutes when Gray beat the off-side trap and raced clear before firing past Jason Matthews from 10 yards.

Luton extended their lead in the 68th minute when Lawless fired across goal and into the bottom corner.

However, Dorchester set up a grandstand finish when Pugh headed in from a corner three minutes later to hand the Magpies a lifeline.

And Ben Watson, Sam Malsom and Jake Gosling were all denied by Luton goalkeeper Tyler as the visitors threatened to draw level.

More on this story