1. ITV Report

Historic opening day win for Yeovil Town

Ed Upson scored Yeovil's first ever goal in the Championship. Photo: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport



Ed Upson's late strike gave Yeovil their first-ever win in the second tier of English football as they edged past Millwall at The Den.

Gary Johnson's men were made to work hard for their three points as Millwall's new-look strike force of Andy Keogh and the returning Steve Morison, along with winger James Henry, all had chances to win the game.

But Yeovil stood firm and nicked the result at the death through midfielder Upson.

The visitors had their goalkeeper Marek Stech to thank for making a number of important saves to keep their side in the game before Upson chanced his luck with just three minutes remaining.

It was Millwall, under new manager Steve Lomas, who had the first real chance of the match when Shane Lowry sent a powerful cross in for Morison but the on-loan Leeds striker could not keep his free header on target.

Minutes later, it was Keogh who headed wide of Stench's goal with a glancing effort.

Yeovil's first effort came through James Hayter, who tried to lob David Forde only to see his effort go just wide.

They had an even better chance after 15 minutes when debutant Dan Seabourne's downward header was well saved by Forde on the line.

For all of their good work going forward, Yeovil struggled to find the openings in front of goal.

Probably the best chance of the first half fell to Henry. The midfielder played a neat one-two with Morison and saw his effort smothered by Stech when he looked favourite to score.

Henry then turned provider as he got to the byline to whip in a cross which Keogh snatched at and sent wide - with Morison better positioned behind him.

It was Henry who continued to cause problems in the second half, watching his effort tipped over the bar by Stech as Millwall looked the brighter after the restart.

Henry was again at the heart of the action soon after as he missed an open goal. Morison charged down Byron Webster's misplaced back pass and the ball fell to the Millwall winger 25 yards from goal, but he could not keep his shot on target despite Stech being stranded.

Lions boss Lomas introduced summer signing Nicky Bailey after the break and the former Middlesbrough man tried to create chances for Morison, but with little luck.

As the game looked to be heading for a goalless draw, Yeovil pushed forward and grabbed the winner.

Millwall failed to deal with a corner and the ball fell to Upson on the edge of the area. He took the ball down well and fired it into the bottom corner past a helpless Forde.

The home side looked stunned at the late goal and little time to recover as Yeovil hung on for their first win of the season.

We are used to people telling us we are going to get relegated and with our budget we really should be, but we use it as a strength.

Anything we do is a bonus. But we have a group of lads who know how to put in a shift and work for each other. They will all improve as they are a young lot.

I think we deserved that win. I thought we played the best side in the first half without having any real chances.

We left it a bit late, but it was a nice feeling when the goal goes in that late because they did not have any time to recover.

The boys are buzzing, but it is just one game. It means nothing if we lose the next 45. So we have to keep our feet on the ground, we have to keep working.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager


Scott Wagstaff gave Bristol City the lead in the 13th minute at Ashton Gate. Credit: Andrew Matthews/EMPICS Sport

Bristol City began life in League One with a draw against Bradford at Ashton Gate.

The home side led twice through debutants Scott Wagstaff (13) and Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (58), but newly promoted Bradford pegged them back both times.

A mistake from another new-boy, home goalkeeper Frank Fielding, allowed Nahki Wells in to score, before Rory McArdle's header earned the Bantams a point with six minutes left on the clock.

Britt Assombalonga, Peterborough's record signing from Watford, scored the only goal as Swindon lost 1-0. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Swindon Town's caretaker manager Mark Cooper saw his side lose 1-0 at Peterborough

Posh's record signing Britt Assombalonga enjoyed a competitive debut to remember as he struck the match-winner.

The 20-year-old striker, a summer capture from Watford, scored the only goal of the game with a fierce right-footed winner in the 9th minute.

Tijane Reis, Ryan Mason and Massimo Luongo were all denied by home goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik.


Jamie Cureton scored on his Cheltenham debut, but was injured in the process. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Cheltenham Town surrendered a two goal lead as they could only draw 2-2 with Burton at Whaddon Road.

Jamie Cureton scored on his Robins debut to put them ahead in the 20th minute, but the striker was injured in the process, and left the field on a stretcher clutching his shoulder.

Cureton's replacement Byron Harrison was soon on the scoresheet to double the advantage, as Mark Yates' men looked in control.

But Burton pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time with a penalty from Billy Kee after Russell Penn's handball.

And they rescued a point when former Stoke City midfielder Rory Delap had too much space following a 56th minute corner.

Danny Coles scored against his old club as Exeter City beat Bristol Rovers. Credit: PA

The West Country derby between Exeter City and Bristol Rovers ended with a 2-1 win for the home side.

Captain Danny Coles gave the Grecians the lead against his former team, and although Eliot Richards equalised for Rovers, new signing Sam Parkin headed the winner with 12 minutes left on the clock.

Rovers almost sneaked an equaliser in the final minute, but Coles cleared John-Joe O'Toole's shot off the line.

More on this story