1. ITV Report

Stech off injured as Glovers lose first home game

Dan Burn's header took a deflection off Dan Seaborne to give Birmingham the three points. Photo: PA Wire



Yeovil Town's first ever home match in the Championship ended in a narrow defeat to Birmingham City.

An unfortunate own goal from Daniel Seaborne decided the contest. Byron Webster's headed clearance, under pressure from former Yeovil loanee Dan Burn, took a deflection off Seaborne's head.The Glovers were dealt a blow inside six minutes when goalkeeper Marek Stech was forced off with an injured hand, to be replaced by goalkeeping coach Gareth Stewart. Stech could be out of action for up to three months.

Marek Stech could be out of action for up to three months with a broken hand. Credit: PA Wire

However, it was Yeovil with the first shot on target, Paddy Madden stinging Darren Randolph's gloves from distance.

Randolph was again called into action on 20 minutes parrying defender Byron Webster's arrowed volley before reacting immediately to Madden's header.

The Blues did not test the stand-in keeper until the half hour mark when Andrew Shinnie's attempt was well stopped.

Gary Johnson's men enjoyed the best of the first half, not allowing the visitors any rest in possession, with the Midlands club reduced to half-chances and two bookings for cynical challenges.

Yeovil Town's Daniel Seaborne and Birmingham City's Matt Green in action. Credit: PA Wire

Birmingham were sent out early after the break with the words of manager Lee Clark ringing in their ears, and it had its desired effect in the opening moments of the second half. Shane Ferguson's corner caused problems and the ball flew into the net off Seaborne.

The Glovers talisman last year was League One top goalscorer Madden, and in front of the watching Ireland coach Marco Tardelli, it was the Dubliner who had the first glimpse of an equaliser, nodding a Sam Foley cross comfortably into the hands of Randolph.

The opportunity sparked the Somerset men into action and Webster's thundered header drew some athleticism from the City stopper, tipping the chance onto the crossbar.

Like at Millwall in the previous week, last term's top-scorer was withdrawn for Michael Ngoo, and the Liverpool loanee was immediately in the action, forcing a foul from Burn. From the resulting free-kick, Sam Hoskins failed to take advantage.

Johnson's men were typically dogged and organised but they could not prevent Shinnie wriggling his way in behind and bringing a save out of Stewart.

Yeovil won their first-ever Championship game at the New Den last week with a goal in the 88th minute, and the green and whites almost drew level from the same man - Ed Upson curling his free-kick just wide of the far post - but Birmingham held strong to take all three points.

Birmingham City players celebrate their goal. Credit: PA Wire

We looked competitive which is what we needed to do but we looked like, for me, as if we could win that game.

We could have won that game looking at the two teams: our tactics, their tactics, and it was three points lost for us.

That's not me making it up that's my honest belief.

We didn't really look potent enough for the whole game. I would have liked to get past people more and when we did get through we didn't create chances.

We did compete and it was fantastic to see the atmosphere, hopefully they will keep with us because we more than matched a Birmingham side, but to be better than them we needed to be more competitive.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager
Gary Johnson was unhappy with some of the refereeing decisions at Huish Park. Credit: PA Wire


Massimo Luongo scored Swindon Town's winner against Stevenage. Credit: John Walton/EMPICS Sport

Swindon Town picked up their first three points of the season after a goal from one of their Tottenham Hotspur loanees.

Massimo Luongo hit the back of the net from the edge of the area in the 25th minute, which gave goalkeeper Steve Arnold no chance.

The visitors' best opportunity fell to Greg Tansey in the second half, but he blazed over from a good position.


Michael Smith cleared the ball off the line to prevent a Scunthorpe goal. Credit: Nick Potts /PA Archive

Injury-hit Bristol Rovers were held to a goal-less draw by Scunthorpe at the Memorial Stadium.

The visitors hit the bar twice in the first half, and defender Michael Smith also had to clear Sam Winnall's shot off the line.

Rovers failed to trouble United's goalkeeper, and their injury woes increased when captain Tom Parkes was stretchered off after being knocked unconscious.

Troy Brown had a goal disallowed for offside. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Cheltenham Town suffered their first defeat of the season at the Proact Stadium.

Gary Roberts' deflected shot put the hosts ahead in the 23rd minute.

Byron Harrison came closest to leveling for the Robins before half-time, but saw his shot cleared off the line.

Troy Brown had the ball in the back of the net in the second half but his effort was ruled out for offside.

Chesterfield substitute Eoin Doyle wrapped up the three points in stoppage time.

More on this story