1. ITV Report

Mason hits a hat-trick as Swindon stun Crewe


Adam Le Fondre earned and converted Reading's penalty winner at Huish Park. Credit: Andrew Matthews/PA Archive

Yeovil Town suffered their fourth straight defeat in the Championship after losing to a controversial penalty at Huish Park.

Gary Johnson made two changes to the team that started in Tuesday's Capital One Cup incident-packed defeat against Birmingham City, with Republic of Ireland international Paddy Madden again missing out through injury.

Meanwhile Reading manager Nigel Adkins made sweeping changes after the Royals' 6-0 humiliation at Peterborough United - with only Chris Gunter, Shaun Cummings and Le Fondre surviving the cull.

The Glovers, who went into the game having not netted in the league since Ed Upson's late winner at Millwall on the opening day, started brightly and created a host of glorious opportunities in the opening period.

Defender Byron Webster - who was at the centre of Tuesday night's drama at Huish Park - headed narrowly over from a corner before midfield talisman Upson's driven effort was well saved by goalkeeper Alex McCarthy.

Meanwhile, the visitors, who were also looking for their first Championship win since their opening win over Ipswich Town, toiled in the Somerset sun and struggled to create any clear-cut chances.

However, the Glovers grew in confidence as the half went on and should have gone into the break ahead, with Joe Ralls, James Hayter and captain Jamie McAllister all spurning good openings.

Adkins swapped Gareth McCleary for Danny Williams in a surprise first-half substitution and the newly-introduced midfielder came closest for the Royals before the break when he volleyed former Real Madrid and Everton winger Royston Drenthe's deep cross wide of the post.

Yeovil again dictated proceedings at the start of the second half, with on-loan striker Andy Williams coming inches away from breaking the deadlock after hitting a curling effort narrowly wide.

Williams, who made his first start since arriving at Huish Park from Swindon Town, continued to stretch the Berkshire side's defence as the game became an open affair after the hour mark, but both goalkeepers remained relatively untested.

With 20 minutes remaining, Yeovil once again came close to snatching a deserved lead after the impressive Upson hit a low right-footed shot wide of McCarthy's post.

However, Huish Park once again became the centre of controversy on 77 minutes after referee Trevor Kettle awarded the Royals a penalty after Luke Ayling was adjudged to have brought down Le Fondre.

The striker picked himself up and slammed past goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey to net his third league goal of the season and earn the visitors the valuable three points.

If the referee gives that as a penalty then he should have given one for us too.

Our boys were magnificent today and they deserved more than they got. We outplayed a very good Reading team and our boys did everything but score.

We kept creating chances and had lots of shots, and when they were on target the keeper made some good saves. I'm not sure you can do any more in a game and get beaten.

We respect the opposition and think they are still one of the favourites to get promotion, so we're pleased that we competed more than adequately with them.

I suppose that's why it's even more upsetting when it gets taken away from you by something out of your control.

I think we've found our Championship legs over the last couple of games, and I hope that bodes well for the near future.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager


Ryan Mason hit a second half hat-trick for Swindon against Crewe. Credit: Nigel French/EMPICS Sport

Ryan Mason hit a second half hat-trick as Swindon eased past Crewe at the County Ground.

Nile Ranger started the rout in the 34th minute before Massimo Luongo added the second just prior to the break.

Mason got his first goal early in the second half after being put through by Yaser Kasim.

His second came from the penalty spot after Ranger was brought down in the area.

And his hat-trick goal was just 25 minutes after the first, converting Alex Pritchard's cross into a crowded six yard box.

Mason had the chance of a fourth goal, but missed a stoppage time penalty after Ranger was again fouled in the box.

Meanwhile, Town have tonight completed the signing of Egyptian striker, Mohammed El Gabas. The front man has signed a deal until 1st January 2014 with a further option of 18 months. Loan signing Massimo Luongo has also signed on a permanent three-year deal for a fee of £400,000 from Tottenham.

Marvin Elliott equalised for Bristol City at Gillingham. Credit: Barrington Coombs/EMPICS Sport

Bristol City are still looking for their first league win of the season after coming from behind to draw with Gillingham.

City knocked the Gills out of the Capital One Cup earlier this month, but they were unable to leave Priestfield with another win.

The home side, who are also winless, went ahead in the 22nd minute through Adebayo Akinfenwa's glancing header from a long throw.

Marvin Elliott levelled for City on the stroke of half-time, heading in Scott Wagstaff's cross from the left.

The visitors had the better of the second half, but couldn't find a way past goalkeeper Stuart Nelson. Debutant Nicky Shorey and Sam Baldock both came close to grabbing a winner.


Lee Brown provided the cross for Rovers winner. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Bristol Rovers made it back-to-back wins going into Wednesday's Bristol derby.

Youngster Tom Lockyer scored the only goal of the game - his first senior goal for the club.

The unmarked 18-year-old headed in Lee Brown's cross in just the second minute.

In a game of few chances, Northampton almost levelled late on when Chris Hackett's free-kick struck a post.

The visitors ended the match with ten men after Roy O'Donovan was sent off for a second yellow card.

Mark Yates will be disappointed with Cheltenham's collapse at Bury. Credit: Stephen Pond/PA Wire

Cheltenham crashed to their heaviest defeat of the season, despite taking the lead at Gigg Lane.

The Robins went ahead in the fourth minute when Andy Procter turned Terry Gornell's shot into his own net.

But the hosts hit back with three goals in just eight minutes. Danny Mayor's 30-yard strike levelled the score.

And Mayor turned provider as Procter and Nathan Cameron turned the game around with just 17 minutes on the clock.

Jessy Reindorf made it 4-1 in the second half, and Cheltenham's miserable day was completed when they lost Craig Braham-Barrett and Steve Elliott through injury.

More on this story