1. ITV Report

Bath back to winning ways

Jonathan Joseph scored Bath's first try against his old club. Photo: Anna Gowthorpe/PA Wire

Bath scored five tries before half-time to set up a bonus-point victory over London Irish at the Recreation Ground - even though they failed to add even a penalty in the second half.

Irish battled back gamely but never recovered from conceding an early try to Jonathan Joseph, the England centre who left them for Bath during the summer.

Flanker Guy Mercer added two more and Rob Webber another but the man of the match was fly-half George Ford, who fittingly scored the try of the match from his own half and also added four conversions.

Bath had forced three penalties in as many minutes before Joseph stretched through Shane Geraghty's tackle to touch down.

Once confirmed by the TV match official, the try was converted from wide out by Ford.

Unfortunately for the home side, that was match over after just five minutes for skipper Dave Attwood who was replaced by club captain Stuart Hooper.

Irish brought their big runners into play in response and Bath were forced to concede a penalty kicked by fly-half Geraghty, who then missed another soon afterwards.

Full-back Anthony Watson, another recruit from the Irish during the summer, limped off to join Attwood on the touchline after 15 minutes but Bath made light of the disruption as Mercer crossed for his first try.

Ford chased a clever kick by peter Stringer and, when Topsy Ojo could only usher the ball into touch, Ford just as smartly took a quick line-out to put his flanker over unopposed and then added the conversion.

The 20-year-old playmaker then showed yet another side to his game as he broke brilliantly from 60 metres, evading Tom O'Leary and just managing to ground the ball despite Marland Yarde's last-ditch tackle. The conversion was his too and Bath were 21-3 ahead with just 27 minutes played.

A couple of minutes later, Ford's inch-perfect penalty kick to the corner allowed Webber to score from a conventional catch-and-drive.

For once, Ford's conversion was mis-hit and then allowed Geraghty to drive over and through him in the opposite corner to claim the Exiles' first try, expertly converted by the fly-half.

But Bath claimed a four-try bonus point after the visitors' defence went AWOL on the right and Mercer scored again, with Ford converting.

As if a 33-10 deficit was not a tough enough hill to climb, Irish hooker David Paice was yellow-carded on the stroke of half-time for retaliation.

Geraghty pulled back three point two minutes after the restart but Bath, despite losing another second row, Dominic Day, to an ankle injury, just moved the versatile Matt Garvey up into the second row.

After conceding a succession of penalties the visitors brought on former Wales lock Ian Gough and temporarily stopped the rot, winning a decision of their own and nearly creating a try at the other end when Geraghty broke free.

It was short-lived, however, as replacement prop Jamie Hagan was yellow-carded for not binding.

Bath failed to capitalise and enjoyed very little possession, too often spilling the ball that did come their way while the Exiles were far more competitive in the line-out and at the breakdown.

The reward for a far more committed second-half performance came on 68 minutes when Geraghty claimed a try on the left after taking advantage of a rebound. But his conversion attempt was wide and Bath still led 33-18.

With fresh legs on the field, the home side roused themselves for the last 10 minutes but lacked the accuracy of their first-half display.

  • JERSEY 17 - 26 BRISTOL

In the Championship, Bristol won 26-17 at Jersey, with Tristan Roberts crossing the line twice.

More on this story