1. ITV Report

Swindon Town are region's only winners this weekend


On-loan Fraser Fyvie was involved in Yeovil's best chances in the first half, but soon left the field injured. Credit: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport

Goal-shy Yeovil suffered further woe on home soil after a disappointing 0-0 stalemate with Brighton.

In a match devoid of any cutting edge, the hosts showed why they remain the Sky Bet Championship's tamest outfit in front of goal, having found the net only six times in a dozen matches.

Glovers boss Gary Johnson made four changes to his side that were thrashed 4-1 at Middlesbrough before the international break, with Republic of Ireland international Paddy Madden, whose 23-goal haul fired Yeovil to promotion from League One last season, left out of the squad.

The injury-hit visitors, looking for their first win in four attempts and first goal on the road since August, started the game brightly with on-loan Cardiff midfielder Craig Conway impressing on the left flank.

Oscar Garcia's side cut through the static Yeovil rear-guard after only four minutes and came inches away from snatching an early lead when Will Buckley took advantage of a quick free kick to feed Ashley Barnes, who blazed over from close range.

Despite their opponents making the 160-mile trip to the South West, it was the Glovers who continued to look jaded with goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey keeping Albion out in the early exchanges with a smart save from Barnes's powerful header.

The hosts' brightest moments in an otherwise drab first half came through debutant Fraser Fyvie, who signed on loan from fellow Championship side Wigan this week.

A first curling free-kick was headed narrowly over by Shane Duffy, before the 20-year-old's second set piece stung the palms of Albion goalkeeper Tomasz Kuszczak.

But Fyvie's debut proved short-lived after he fell heavily under a bruising tackle from former Glover Rohan Ince, and left the field mid-way through the first half clutching his shoulder.

Brighton poured forward in a bid to take advantage of Yeovil's misfortune with Barnes and Buckley both spurning good opportunities to break the deadlock.

The Huish Park faithful were finally awoken from their slumber early in the second half when Sam Hoskins broke away promisingly, but his disappointing strike did little to worry Kuszczak in the Albion goal.

Yeovil's early effort in the second period saw confidence flow back into their veins, with midfield talisman Ed Upson breaking away from his marker before hitting a ferocious 25-yard drive straight at the goalkeeper.

Brighton brought new loan signing Leroy Lita off the bench on the hour mark in response, but it was Yeovil again who seized the initiative with Upson hitting an ambitious effort narrowly over the bar.

The Glovers came close to breaking the deadlock as the game began to peter out when Duffy headed an Upson corner over the crossbar.

But Brighton should have snatched all three points late on - with Buckley and Lita both spurning gilt-edged chances.


Jay Emmanuel-Thomas should've given City the lead at Crewe. Credit: Nick Potts/PA Archive

Bristol City are still without a league win after going down 1-0 at Crewe. The home side's winner came from a stoppage time penalty after a foul by Scott Wagstaff.

It's the second league game in a row where Sean O'Driscoll's men have conceded in the final minutes of the match.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas wasted a golden opportunity to put City ahead in the first half, but somehow shot wide after a mistake from former Robins goalkeeper Steve Phillips.

Nile Ranger celebrates his goal against Notts County. Credit: Nick Potts/EMPICS Sport

Swindon Town made it three wins out of three after beating Notts County on Friday night.

Nile Ranger scored the first in the 11th minute, with Dany N'Guessan adding a second from the penalty spot after Nathan Byrne was fouled in the box.

Visitors County were also awarded a penalty in the second half, but former Bristol City man Danny Haynes fired over.

After the match, Swindon manager Mark Cooper told the club's official website that he was pleased with the performance, but wanted more goals:

We played very well. We were controlled, passed the football well and for a purpose and dealt with a Notts side that have come into a bit of form.

We’ve done well recently. It’s frustrating that we didn’t finish it off.

For the possession we had we should have been more in control. They score the penalty and it’s game on - we have to makes sure we don’t mistakes like that.

– Mark Cooper, Swindon Town manager
Dany N'Guessan scores Town's second goal from penalty spot in the 28th minute. Credit: Nick Potts/EMPICS Sport


David Clarkson was dismissed in the 26th minute. Credit: EMPICS Sport

Bristol Rovers are now winless in seven games after losing 1-0 at home to Wycombe.

Rovers played most of the match with ten men after David Clarkson was sent off in the 26th minute for violent conduct.

Substitute Max Kretzschmar scored the winner for the visitors eight minutes from time.

Troy Brown put Cheltenham ahead in the 63rd minute. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Cheltenham lost 2-1 at home to Rochdale, despite taking the lead through Troy Brown.

Ian Henderson scored twice for Rochdale in the final ten minutes, to leave Cheltenham 17th in the table.

More on this story