1. ITV Report

First home win at last for the Glovers

Yeovil Town's Edward Upson celebrates his second goal. Photo: PA Wire



Yeovil Town rose off the bottom of the Sky Bet Championship after a deserved 3-1 win over in-form Nottingham Forest.

A first-half brace from Ed Upson and a Byron Webster header inspired the Glovers to a first home win of the season - and ended Forest's impressive recent run of seven games without defeat.

Yeovil manager Gary Johnson made two changes to his side that played out a goalless stalemate with Brighton last weekend, but the Glovers' display could not have been any more different during a pulsating opening period.

The Somerset side - who had notched only one league goal on home soil coming into the game - started brightly and took a deserved early lead when Upson's rifling volley was deflected past Forest goalkeeper Karl Darlow.

However, their celebrations were muted when referee Mick Russell became the fourth referee in the last five matches at Huish Park to award a penalty to the visiting side.

Nottingham Forest's Simon Cox sees his penalty saved by Wayne Hennessey. Credit: PA Wire

Simon Cox, who was brought down by defender Shane Duffy, picked himself up to take the spot-kick - but saw his tame strike saved by Wayne Hennessey, before a goalmouth scramble saw the on-loan Wolves stopper claw a second effort away and Webster head the ball off the line.

The wave of red continued to flow towards Yeovil's goal, with Cox and Radoslaw Majewski denied in quick succession by the Wales international goalkeeper.

But Upson - whose late winner at Millwall on the opening game of the season marked Yeovil's only other league win this season - raised the roof for a second time moments later after a sensational 25-yard drive flew past Darlow.

His strike ended the Glovers' barren record as the only Championship side not to score more than once in a league match this season.

The visitors responded well and instantly reduced the deficit when Jack Hobbs steered Majewski's free-kick into the path of Nathaniel Chalobah, with the youngster heading home from close range.

Yeovil bounced back on the stroke of half-time and restored their two-goal advantage when Webster headed Upson's corner against the inside of the post with the linesman ruling that the ball had crossed the line.

Forest manager Billy Davies will have been infuriated by his side's lacklustre first-half display, and they came out with renewed vigour in the second period.

Hennessey - who extended his Somerset stay for another month earlier in the week - denied Cox before substitute Jamie Mackie was thwarted.

Forest continued to flow forward with Darius Henderson forcing Hennessey into another close-range save before captain Chris Cohen headed wide.

And the visitors nearly forced a tense finale when Jamaal Lascelles ran through on goal but it was Hennessey again who was in stunning form to earn his side victory.

Yeovil's Shane Duffy and Nottingham Forest's Simon Cox in action. Credit: PA Wire

It was a fantastic result as Nottingham Forest are Premiership in the waiting. We're new to this level, but the boys have been unlucky in a few games and I keep saying we're good enough to compete with these teams.

Hopefully this will push us on for the next few games. It was a great first half attacking display, and then a great defensive display in the second half.

The lads have never lost the faith and I think we've been unlucky, beaten by the odd goal a couple of times and a couple of official decisions have cost us points.

We've all had to hang on in there and this was a great game to play in, as Forest are quality with Premiership and international players.

Wayne Hennessey is a great goalkeeper, Wolves know that, we know that Wales know that.

Today everything he did was sheer class he's certainly earned his money today. He came here and has just been a real class act for us.

We needed to get our first home win and it will be great for confidence, and everyone at the club realising they've got a group of players and a manager who can win football matches at this level.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager

I was surprised that was Yeovil's first home win because in the first 45 minutes their appetite was good, their attitude was good and we quite simply didn't turn up.

Having said that, at 1-0 you can't afford to miss penalties and that was without doubt a big turning point.

I think they deserved to be in front at half time, and second half I thought Hennessey was excellent and deserved his man of the match.

In the Championship the blue sky doesn't exist every weekend, there are dark clouds and there will be difficult days ahead with ups and downs, bumps and bruises.

There is no easy game in this league and you have to respect every team. Your attitude has to be right - and ours wasn't in the first half. On another day things could have been different, but Hennessey was excellent.

– Billy Davies, Nottingham Forest manager


Alan Gow was denied by Burton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford. Credit: Tim Ireland/PA Wire

Exeter City missed out on going top of League Two after conceding a late goal at St James Park.

Phil Edwards headed in Chris Hussey's corner in the 88th minute to steal the three points for the visitors.

The Grecians had their chances, but Burton goalkeeper Jordan Pickford saved well from John O'Flynn and Alan Gow.

Neal Trotman was Argyle's last gasp hero at Mansfield. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Plymouth Argyle won for the first time in eight games after an injury time winner from Neal Trotman.

The home team started well. Argyle goalkeeper Luke McCormick made a point blank save from Sam Clucas, and Matt Rhead headed over.

Argyle continued to thwart the Stags, before Trotman rose to head home Conor Hourihane’s free-kick in the third minute of stoppage time.

Jordan Chapell scored in the first minute. Credit: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport

Jordan Chapell gave Torquay the lead within the first 30 seconds at Plainmoor.

Karl Hawley's shot was blocked, but the loose ball fell to Chapell who drilled a low effort in off the far post.

But the Gulls couldn't hold on. Portsmouth piled on the pressure and forced an equaliser nine minutes from time when Ryan Bird tapped in Jed Wallace's cross.



Weymouth missed out on a place in the first round proper after losing 2-1 at home to Braintree.

Sam Poole scored for the Terras in the final minute of the game.

More on this story