1. ITV Report

Rovers stun league leaders to record first win in ten


Ross McCormack (left) scored both goals for Leeds against Yeovil. Credit: Barrington Coombs/EMPICS Sport

Ross McCormack's second-half goals lit up an otherwise drab Leeds performance against Yeovil at Elland Road.

McCormack was twice put through by captain Rodolph Austin to improve his goals tally to eight for the season and four in five games.

The teams were led out by Leeds legend Norman Hunter, who celebrated his 70th birthday earlier in the week and was the club's guest of honour.

The former England defender was still making his way to his seat when teenage midfielder Alex Mowatt forced an instinctive save from Yeovil goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey, but chances were few and far between in a first half of frustrating stalemate.

Shane Duffy, who this week had his loan spell from Everton extended, broke up several promising Leeds moves, but Matt Smith should have opened the scoring after 20 minutes when the Leeds striker swung his boot at fresh air a few yards out and Mowatt curled a left-footed shot tantalisingly close in the follow-up play.

Lowly Yeovil were failing to trouble Leeds goalkeeper Paddy Kenny, despite some promising approach play and their 3-1 win over Nottingham Forest last time out.

But with Duffy and Byron Webster in commanding form at the heart of the visitors' defence, Leeds struggled to create openings of their own.

Jamie McAllister and Sam Hoskins threatened to provide Kevin Dawson with the opening goal but the Dublin-born winger failed to make contact, with Leeds' defence in disarray.

Wing-back Stephen Warnock, who had been a doubtful starter, hobbled off four minutes before the interval to be replaced by Lithuanian Marius Zaliukas for his Leeds debut.

The home crowd were roused by a goal three minutes into the second half.

Austin made a storming run through the midfield and McCormack pulled the trigger from just outside the right corner of the six-yard box.

Leeds had some desperate defending to do as their opponents forced a series of corners, and home manager Brian McDermott responded by sending on Dexter Blackstock in place of Smith.

Austin almost snatched a second Leeds goal but his shot was deflected over the bar after another penetrating run, while at the other end Kenny had to stretch to turn McAllister's free-kick into the crowd.

The Austin-McCormack combination worked its magic again after 67 minutes when Austin's pass found McCormack whose 18-yard shot flew past Hennessey into the centre of the goal.

Yeovil made a double substitution, Paddy Madden and Kieffer Moore replacing Liam Davis and Kevin Dawson, but their neat passing had no end product as Leeds bounced back from their West Yorkshire derby defeat at Huddersfield.


Jay Emmanuel-Thomas scored his 11th goal of the season against Oldham. Credit: David Davies/PA Archive

Former Bristol City midfielder Lee Johnson returned to Ashton Gate for the first time to ruin City's hopes of back-to-back wins.

Johnson, now the League's youngest manager at Oldham, saw his side rescue a point after Jay Emmanuel-Thomas had given the hosts a 36th minute lead.

Lively winger James Dayton levelled for the Latics 13 minutes from time.

The point moves City off the foot of the table on goal difference.

Massimo Luongo scored twice for Swindon against Port Vale. Credit: David Davies/PA Archive

Swindon Town hit five goals past Port Vale, but were thankful for two late strikes after the visitors threatened a comeback.

Town led 3-0 through Dany N'Guessan, Nile Ranger and Massimo Luongo, before Vale hit back through Tom Pope and Lee Hughes.

However Byrne’s stunning strike in the 82nd minute and Luongo’s second of the game removed any danger of Vale snatching at least a point.

N'Guessan had given Swindon a 28th minute lead with a header from Jay McEveley's free-kick. Ranger doubled the advantage five minutes into the second half, heading home Alex Pritchard's cross.

Luongo's first of the afternoon came seven minutes later - a curling shot after good work from Nathan Thompson.

Vale got back into the game when Tom Pope outpaced the Town defence before rounding Foderingham to slot home in the 73rd minute. Then sub Lee Hughes tapped in from close range with ten minutes left on the clock.

But Town’s nerves were settled when Nathan Byrne scored a screamer from 30 yards out.

And in stoppage time Luongo made the game safe when he tricked his way past a defender before firing across goal and into the net.


Matt Richards put Cheltenham 2- 1 ahead against York. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Cheltenham Town were twice pegged back by York in a 2-2 draw at Whaddon Road.

Byron Harrison gave the Robins the lead in the 12th minute - poking home from close range following Matt Richards' corner.

Ryan Bowman's header levelled the scores eight minutes later.

Mark Yates' men went ahead again on the stroke of half-time. Richards curled a free-kick into the net, and the goal was allowed to stand despite Troy Brown being flagged offside.

But a mix-up between defender Sido Jombati and goalkeeper Scott Brown gifted Bowman his second of the game in the 54th minute.

John-Joe O'Toole scored Rovers winner from the penalty spot. Credit: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport

Bristol Rovers picked up their first win in ten matches at league leaders Oxford.

John-Joe O'Toole scored the only goal of the game from the penalty spot 20 minutes from time, after Eliot Richards was brought down in the area by Jake Wright.

Striker James Constable, looking for his 100th Oxford goal, headed two good chances wide, while Steve Mildenhall saved well from Dave Kitson and former Rovers man Sean Rigg.

More on this story