1. ITV Report

Hayter scores twice as Yeovil win at Birmingham

Yeovil Town's James Hayter is congratulated on scoring his sides second goal. Photo: Dave Howarth/EMPICS Sport



James Hayter struck twice as second-bottom Yeovil secured their third away win of the Championship season at the expense of Birmingham.

The former Bournemouth marksman, who scored 93 goals in 349 appearances for the Cherries, was twice on the mark in a nine-minute spell early in the game to sink the Blues.

Hayter, who holds the record for the fastest hat-trick in the Football League, was certainly in an opportunist mood for Yeovil, who went into the game as the joint lowest goalscorers in the division.

It was Birmingham's second straight defeat following an unbeaten run of 10 games, and their eighth consecutive winless game at St Andrew's without a victory, and kept them firmly in the bottom half of the table.

Yeovil remained in the relegation zone despite the win, but the 680 travelling fans will have headed away happy on their long journey back to the south-west.

The Glovers were in no small way assisted by some sloppy defensive play by Birmingham's makeshift rearguard, and were particularly helped by a calamitous mistake from stand-in central defender Hayden Mullins.

The veteran attempted - and completely missed - an intended headed back-pass to goalkeeper Darren Randolph, allowing Hayter to latch onto the ball and slide his shot past a helpless Randolph in the 12th minute for a gift of a goal.

The Republic of Ireland goalkeeper then distinguished himself with two saves in quick succession, parrying an effort from Joe Ralls and then smartly keeping out Kieffer Moore's close-range effort from the rebound.

But Randolph was beaten for a second time in the 19th minute by Hayter, who produced the perfect glancing header from Ralls' left-wing cross.

Hayter's two-goal blast was a wake-up call for Birmingham. Lee Novak hit the bar with a header and teenager Reece Brown hammered in a blistering shot which was well saved by Marek Stech.

Birmingham continued to muster the majority of the attacking play as the game wore on, but Yeovil were determined to hang onto their advantage and produced a dogged defensive performance.

New signing Brian Howard had a glorious opportunity to mark his Blues debut with as goal, but saw Stech pull off a point-blank save in the 69th minute - a miss which summed up Birmingham's frustrations.

Birmingham manager Lee Clark made three substitutions in the final half-hour in a bid to turn things around, but to no avail as Yeovil held on for a valuable three points.

Birmingham City's Chris Burke gets a knock in the face from Yeovil Town's Luke Ayling. Credit: Dave Howarth/EMPICS Sport

This is our fifth win and it rates highly because all the other teams around us won.

We are still battling and the boys showed a great spirit. That spirit will keep us in the hunt for a big part of the season. I was very proud of the boys' effort and performance.

James Hayter has been a super striker for a long time. When he gets himself in those positions he is a very good finisher.

He doesn't panic and he took his goals extremely well.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager


Sam Baldock scored twice against MK Dons. Credit: David Davies/PA

Bristol City battled back from being two goals down to draw 2-2 with MK Dons at Ashton Gate.

Steve Cotterill's men should have been 3-0 up inside the first ten minutes, but Jay Emmanuel-Thomas and Sam Baldock (twice) were guilty of misses.

The Robins were punished as the visitors scored twice before half-time.

Chances for either side continued after the break. Baldock eventually pulled a goal back with a half volley in the 57th minute.

And the former Dons player rescued a point with a close range finish from substitute Tyrone Barnett's glancing header.

The draw leaves City in the relegation zone, two points from safety with a game in hand on their rivals.

Joe Martin set up both Gillingham goals. Credit: Adam Davy/EMPICS Sport

Swindon Town suffered their second defeat of the week at mid-table Gillingham.

Leon Legge opened the scoring in the 18th minute - heading in Joe Martin's free-kick.

And Martin was also the provider of the second goal 7 minutes from time. His cross found Michael Harriman who drilled the ball past Wes Foderingham.


Jamie Cureton pulled a goal back for Cheltenham. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

It's three straight defeats for Cheltenham Town after losing at home to lowly Accrington.

George Bowerman scored the first goal of the game in the 15th minute with a cushioned header from former Bristol City defender Nicky Hunt.

Stanley's goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli pulled off a great save to deny Jermaine McGlashan.

Jamie Cureton then hit the crossbar, before Bowerman turned provider for the visitors' second goal two minutes before half-time, as Joyce's header doubled their lead.

Cureton did pull a goal back with a 72nd minute volley, but Mark Yates' men couldn't find an equaliser.

Steve Mildenhall helped earn Rovers a point at York. Credit: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport

Bristol Rovers remain just outside the relegation zone after a goal-less draw at York.

Steve Mildenhall kept Rovers in the game with first half saves from Josh Carson and former Cheltenham Town man Russell Penn.

John-Joe O'Toole had a goal disallowed for offside and Matt Harrold headed against the post.

More on this story