1. ITV Report

Stalemate in the West Country derby at Ashton Gate

Bristol City and Swindon Town couldn't break the deadlock in a goal-less draw at Ashton Gate. Cheltenham Town were the region's only winners, after there were heavy defeats for Yeovil Town and Bristol Rovers.


On-loan West Ham striker Ravel Morrison scored a goal in each half for QPR. Credit: Nigel French/PA

Ravel Morrison grabbed another brace as QPR got back to winning ways with a 3-0 victory over Yeovil.

The on-loan West Ham midfielder, whose two goals against Birmingham last weekend earned Rangers their first win in six attempts, repeated the trick against the lowly Glovers.

Forgotten striker Bobby Zamora also got in on the act with his first goal in more than a year as Harry Redknapp's side bounced back from their midweek defeat at Brighton.

The scoreline was harsh on Yeovil, though, who went agonisingly close to equalising when Tom Lawrence's shot hit a post.

The Somerset side remain in with a chance of staying up but the gulf in resources between them and their opponents eventually told at Loftus Road.

While they survive on a League Two budget Rangers continue to throw good money after bad as they bid for promotion, and their recent punt on Morrison looks like paying off.

Rangers had to weather an early storm with Rob Green keeping out an angled drive from Lawrence and Luke Ayling firing narrowly wide.

But the hosts soon began to take control and Joey Barton's shot was deflected over, Armand Traore fired wide and Marek Stech just managed to tip Morrison's scuffed volley around the post.

And the breakthrough came in the 25th minute when Morrison collected the ball just outside the area. The England Under-21 international tip-toed along the 18-yard line, delaying his shot with a couple of neat feints before unleashing an unstoppable drive in off the post.

Rangers could have doubled their lead before the interval but Junior Hoilett dawdled when he should have shot in the area and Clint Hill blazed wide.

Former Bristol Rovers striker Bobby Zamora scored QPR's second goal. Credit: Nigel French/PA

After the break substitute Niko Kranjcar twice tested Stech with curling efforts, and twice the Yeovil keeper was equal to them.

But Town refused to wilt and they were inches from grabbing an equaliser when Lawrence took aim from 25 yards and his fierce, swerving effort cannoned back off the post with Rob Green rooted to the spot.

That scare stung Rangers into life, however, and Jermaine Jenas almost got on the scoresheet with a dipping shot which clipped the top of the crossbar.

The second goal eventually arrived in the 70th minute when substitute Zamora, who had only been on the pitch four minutes, nodded in an inviting cross from Junior Hoilett.

And Morrison grabbed his second to kill Yeovil off in the last minute when he tucked in Kranjcar's pass.

I think it was harsh, we had a great first 20-odd minutes and it would have been nice to be one up.

Then they got their goal and we hit the woodwork which was a great strike and they just aren't going in for us at the moment.

So we're a bit disappointed to lose by three goals but I don't think we've lost anything with the teams around us down the bottom, results went the way we wanted them to and we are still fighting.

– Gary Johnson, Yeovil Town manager

It was very pleasing to score three, to get a win and a clean sheet, and for Bobby Zamora to score.

It's great for Bobby, I thought he did really well when he came on. You could see the goal made a big difference for his confidence and it gave the whole place a lift.

Ravel has got that quality that can make a difference in games, he can do something special when something special is required.

It's his fourth goal for us and he's done really, really well.

– Kevin Bond, QPR assistant manager


Alex Pritchard was shown a red card in the 55th minute. Credit: David Davies/PA

West Country rivals Bristol City and Swindon Town shared the points after a goal-less draw at Ashton Gate.

Swindon were reduced to ten men early in the second half. Alex Pritchard was sent off for pushing Wade Elliott in the face.

Steve Cotterill's men couldn't make the numerical advantage count. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas came closest, but his shot hit the post.

Town also had chances to win the game, but home goalkeeper Frank Fielding made a double save to deny Michael Smith.

City remain 15th in the table - five points clear of the relegation zone, while Swindon stay 9th - ten points off a play-off place.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas hit the post in the second half. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport


Matt Richards scored the only goal of the game in the 75th minute. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Cheltenham Town are just five points off a play-off spot after extending their unbeaten run to four games.

Bottom-of-the-table Torquay United were beaten 1-0 at Whaddon Road. Matt Richards scored the only goal of the game with a 75th minute volley.

It's two defeats in a week for John Ward's Bristol Rovers. Credit: Joe Giddens/EMPICS Sport

Bristol Rovers suffered a heavy defeat at Hartlepool.

Former Bristol City striker Marlon Harewood gave the hosts a second minute lead, with Brad Walker adding a second shortly after.

Simon Walton scored a third from the penalty spot after Mark McChrystal's foul on Harewood in the 56th minute.

And substitute Jonathan Franks added a fourth in the final moments of the match.

Rovers have slipped down to 18th in the table - just four points ahead of the relegation zone.

More on this story