Live updates

Plans for new waste facility on green belt land in Bath reviewed

Plans for new waste facility on green belt land in Bath reviewed Credit: ITV News

Plans to build a residual waste facility on green belt land in Bath will be reviewed today.

The owner of the old Fullers Earth site, applied to build on the land last year - where he already operates a recycling plant.

Bath and North East Somerset Council received 250 objections to the plans from organisations such as Project Bath and the Bath Preservation Trust - as well as local residents.

Their case will be heard today at Bristol High Court.

Black men are less willing to be tested for prostate cancer

Black men are less willing to be tested for prostate cancer Credit: ITV News

A study carried out in Bristol has found that black men are less willing to be tested for prostate cancer - despite being more likely to develop the disease.

Black males are 35 per cent more likely to die from the condition.

But the research found that less than half of black men who consider themselves at a low risk of developing the disease are willing to get checked - compared to over 90 per cent of white men.

Advertisement

Man charged with murdering woman in Glastonbury

Lisa Winn was found dead in Glastonbury Credit: Avon & Somerset Police

A 50 year old man has appeared in court charged with murdering a woman in Glastonbury.

Neil Winn of Watts Corner has been charged with murdering 45 year old Lisa Winn, who was found dead at a house in the town last week.

A postmortem confirmed she had died from multiple stab wounds. Winn is due to appear at Exeter Crown Court on Wednesday.

Police continue to search locations in Bristol

Police in Bristol searching for missing Becky Watts have held a press conference this afternoon. They told reporters that they have arrested two people on suspicion of Becky's murder.

Detective Superintendent Mike Courtiour said:

"On Saturday afternoon we arrested two people in connection with the Becky Watts missing person investigation.

A 28 year old man and a 21 year old woman were arrested on Saturday on suspicion of the kidnap of Rebecca Watts. This afternoon, they have been further arrested on suspicion of the murder of Rebecca Watts

Both are still in police custody at this time.

This morning, a district judge granted us a warrant of further detention which gives us a further 36 hours to question these two individuals.

In the meantime, our search for Becky continues unabated.

We are drawing upon all possible resources to help us. Additional officers from Wiltshire, Gloucestershire and Devon and Cornwall and police dogs from South Wales Police have been drafted in and support from the police helicopter.

Search and missing persons' experts from the National Crime Agency, College of Policing and the National Missing Persons organisations continue to work with our enquiry team.

We have extended our search parameters to include a house in Southmead and one in the Barton Hill area of Bristol. These are detailed, forensic searches which will take some time to complete.

We continue to carry out both open land searches and detailed house to house enquiries in the local area.

We have also conducted extensive CCTV enquiries and detailed analysis of traffic cameras in the area.

I would appeal once again for anyone who may have any information on this case to come forward immediately. Someone out there might have vital information which could help us find Becky.

This morning, we published an appeal for information from anyone who may have seen a black Vauxhall Zafira, registration number HY06 HYA, in the local area anytime between the morning of Thursday 19th February to Monday 23rd February.

We have seized this car but we need the public’s help in us tracing where it might have been during those key days.

I would also like to repeat our thanks to the local communities who have been supporting this investigation from the beginning. We have all been touched by the number of people who have offered their time to help with the search for Becky.

I would ask that any public searches planned over the next few days are coordinated through us so we can dovetail these with our extensive search plan.

We have also been impressed by the level of engagement we have had with our online drive to find Becky. The #FindBecky has reached thousands of people and the total reach for our social media campaign has now reached more than 4million people world-wide.

Becky’s family are understandably distraught and we are working closely with them to support them at this difficult time.

Finally, I would like to repeat our plea for anyone who has any information regarding this investigation to contact us immediately.

You can call us on 101, leave information anonymously with Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or use our online reporting tool on our website."

Advertisement

Man pleads guilty to causing the death of 3 year old by careless driving

3 year old Freddie Hussey was killed while walking with his mother in Bedminster Credit: Avon & Somerset Police

A man from South Gloucestershire has today pleaded guilty to causing the death of a three year old boy who was killed by a runaway trailer.

Freddie Hussey was walking near his home in Bedminster when the portable cabin detached from a passing Land Rover and mounted a kerb, crushing the toddler.

37 year old Tony Davies has pleaded guilty to causing death by careless driving in January last year. He will be sentenced next month.

Load more updates Back to top