A Bristol mum-to-be is becoming an internet sensation with her bizarre pregnancy craving - she says she can't stop eating soap.
26-year-old Jess Gayford is almost eight months pregnant with her second child and regularly eats both bars and liquid soap. She and her partner have been told that the soap won't harm their unborn baby.
Eating non-food substances like soap is a recognised condition called pica.
Anyone else pregnant and having bizarre cravings? Going crazy for washing my hands then licking my hands after washed them taste soap
A nurse accused of killing a patient with an overdose of medication has been found not guilty at Bristol Crown Court today.
Amanda Young, 40, from Yeovil, had pleaded not guilty to manslaughter by gross negligence for administering a lethal overdose of clozapine to 22-year-old Joshua Gafney in 2012.
A 22 year old from Gloucester who died from a brain tumour is now inspiring thousands after publishing a book to help others cope with the disease.
Neil Vines was diagnosed with cancer when he was just 19. His book was completed just days before he passed away.
Our Health Correspondent Katie Rowlett met his brother to discuss how his story is helping others.
Neil Vines raised £5,500 on his own, then helped the Text Santa appeal to raise £6million. You can find out more about Neil's incredible story here: www.neilvines.com
A family from Swindon whose five-year-old daughter needs regular blood transfusions are urging people to become donors. Five-year-old Lillie has extremely low haemoglobin levels, and it is a blood transfusion every six weeks which is keeping her alive.
"It is just an ongoing thing for us, and that's why it's so important to have the blood stocks so when she needs her blood every few weeks it's there And when she does have her blood transfusion it brings her back to herself - lovely, bubbly, happy child!"
"I was a registered donor but I had lapsed, and seeing how important it was for Lillie as well as other children in the hospital as well made me realise that I needed to start giving again and see the importance of it."
It is National Blood Week, and new research shows that 40% fewer volunteers came forward last year than a decade ago.
Bristol-based NHS Blood and Transplant, who conducted the research, asking people help fill the gaps in the nation's blood stocks.
A neurosurgeon from Bristol aims to raise £900,000 through crowd-funding to fund a trial of a new treatment for brain tumoursRead the full story ›
Public Health England has issued a warning to bird-lovers after the body of a man from Bristol tested positive for a rare disease.
Psittacosis is a bird infection which can be passed onto humans by pets such as budgies and parrots. It can cause pneumonia and other severe health problems,
The man is thought to have caught the illness from one of his pets, which contributed to his death.
Bird-owners with concerns (especially those who bought the pets between May 28 and June 3) have been advised to talk to their vet.
“Members of the public who may have come into contact with birds need to be assured that severe illness as a result of infection from this bacteria is rare.
“However, it is important that those individuals are aware of signs and symptoms and discuss any concerns they may have with their GP.”
In humans, the signs and symptoms of psittacosis appear within four to 30 days after exposure but commonly occur after 10 days.
Symptoms include, fever, chills, cough, weakness or fatigue, muscle and chest, pain, loss of appetite, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea, headaches, sweating and abnormal intolerance to light.
Find more information about psittacosis here.
A Holiday Inn in Bristol's city centre has been fined £65,000 following an outbreak of food poisoning in which dozens were infected.
The hotel in Bond Street pleaded guilty to three reports of food poisoning in November 2013, which saw at least 44 people fall ill, three of them hospitalised.
An investigation found that chicken liver parfait was the source of infection.
The NHS advises that every suspected case of meningitis should be treated as a medical emergency.
Babies and young children under five are most at risk of developing bacterial meningitis. Its symptoms usually begin suddenly and get worse rapidly.
A baby or young child with meningitis may:
- have a high fever, with cold hands and feet
- vomit and refuse to feed
- feel agitated and not want to be picked up
- become drowsy, floppy and unresponsive
- grunt or breathe rapidly
- have an unusual high-pitched or moaning cry
- have pale, blotchy skin, and a red rash that doesn't fade when a glass is rolled over it
- have a tense, bulging soft spot on their head (fontanelle)
- have a stiff neck and dislike bright lights
- have convulsions or seizures
More information can be found here.
A couple from Somerset say delays in diagnosing their baby with meningitis nearly cost her her life.Read the full story ›
Weston General Hospital has apologised to people trying to contact their loved ones. Its phone lines have been down since yesterday evening - and are likely to be down for the rest of the day.
Technical problems mean the hospital's main number is not working and there is no other number that can be used.
The hospital hopes to have the problem fixed by 7.30 tonight.
We understand this is very frustrating for people wanting to get through to loved ones here. Please accept our sincere apologies.