- West Country (E)
- 14 updates
A nurse jailed for his part in the Winterbourne View care home scandal has been struck off the nursing register.
Sookalingum Appoo was previously sentenced to six months in prison for wilfully neglecting patient Simone Blake at the private mental health hospital in South Gloucestershire.
A Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) fitness to practise hearing found there remained a "substantial risk" of Appoo carrying out similar offences and causing further damage to the profession.Appoo, who worked as a nurse for 37 years before the scandal, did not attend the hearing in London.
A date has been set for the sentencing of staff caught abusing patients at a South Gloucestershire hospital.
A total of 11 former staff have between them admitted 38 charges of either neglect or ill treatment of people with severe learning difficulties.
The sentencing hearing will begin on October the 22nd and could last up to five days.
A serious case review into abuse at the Winterbourne View care home is due to be published today.
The review, by an independent panel, follows the conviction of eleven members of staff for the ill-treatment of patients at the care home in South Gloucestershire, which has since closed.
After eleven care workers plead guilty to the ill-treatment of patients at the Winterbourne View care home near Bristol, Castlebeck - it's owners - respond.
All 11 workers who were charged with ill-treatment of patients at the Winterbourne View care home near Bristol have now pleaded guilty and will be sentenced later.
The defendants are:
- Michael Ezenagu, 29, of Malabar Court, India Way, Hammersmith, West London
- Graham Doyle, 25, address not known
- Jason Gardiner, 43, of Mellent Avenue, Bristol
- Danny Brake, 27, of Beechen Drive, Fishponds, Bristol
- Sookalingum Appoo, 58, of Dial Lane, Bristol
- Wayne Rogers, 31, of Purton Close, Bristol
- Alison Dove, 25, of Chipperfield Drive, Bristol
- Holly Draper, 23, of The Old Orchard, Mangotsfield, Bristol
- Charlotte Cotterell, 21, of Melrose Avenue, Yate, Bristol
- Neil Ferguson, 27, of Emersons Green, Bristol
- Kelvin Fore, 33, of Ellesmere Walk, Middlesbrough
Detective Chief Superintendent Louisa Rolfe issued the following statement outside Bristol Crown Court today:
Latest ITV News reports
A serious case review into abuse at the Winterbourne View care home in South Gloucestershire has been published today.
Mencap and the Challenging Behaviour Foundation say they've received 260 reports of ill-treatment in other care homes.