Live updates

Fire crews offer advice to residents after fatal blaze

The house in Long Sutton which burnt down on Monday night Credit: ITV News

Fire crews will be offering safety advice to residents of a Somerset village following a fatal house fire earlier this week.

Investigations are continuing into the cause of the blaze at Long Sutton, but there have been several recent fire-related deaths in Devon and Somerset where the victim lived alone.

They will be knocking on doors and will also be outside the post office 9am-5pm and at the village hall from 3.15pm until the weekend.

Advertisement

Police rape investigators renew appeal to find man on CCTV

Police in Bristol are renewing an appeal to try and identify a man they want to speak to in connection to a rape investigation.

A 20-year-old woman was sexually assaulted outside Irving House near Park Row last August. This CCTV footage was released at the time but officers are still trying to trace the man.

The victim of the attack has since said:

“I can spend hours at night just sobbing and I’m stuck in these flashbacks ... I’m scared of the dark now. I can’t go out by myself and I can’t sit in the car without all the doors being locked.”

– A young woman attacked in Bristol last year.

Woman dies in Somerset house fire

Police are trying to find the woman's next of kin. Credit: Joe Giddens/PA Wire

A woman has died following a fire at the Dower House in Long Sutton last night.

The victim has not been formally identified yet but is believed to be in her sixties. Police have been trying to find her family, and are appealing for witnesses to the fire.

Fire crews battled the blaze for several hours last night, and investigations have continued today.

Police say the incident is not being treated as suspicious at this stage. Anyone with information has been asked to call Yeovil Investigations via the 24-hour Police Enquiry Centre on 101, quoting log number 941 of 21 June.

Aftershave clue to Bristol sex attack

Detectives believe the distinctive smell of a men’s aftershave could be an important clue in their hunt for a sex attacker in Bradley Stoke.

The woman was sexually assaulted as she walked across a bridge near Bradley Stoke after a night out last Saturday (June 6th).

They say they want to hear from anyone in the Bradley Stoke area who knows a man who wears Paco Rabanne 1 Million – the perfume the attacker’s 22-year-old victim has identified.

Paco Rabanne 1 Million Credit: Avon and Somerset Police

Police have been carrying out extra patrols in the area, a path called Concorde Way that runs beneath Bradley Stoke Way.

Signs appealing for information have been put on fences and lampposts, and officers have carried out house-to-house calls and have spoken to people who use the route.

There will be an increased police presence in the area on Saturday as officers step up their appeal for witnesses and information, and seek to reassure the public.

Detective Inspector Dom Graham is leading the investigation and says it was a "particularly nasty and unprovoked stranger assault."

Bristol man convicted of sexual offences

Lewis Scott Credit: Avon and Somerset Police

A 25-year-old man from Bristol has been convicted of a series of sexual and violent offences has been jailed for six years and three months.

Lewis Scott, of Hallards Close, Lawrence Weston, was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court earlier today.

The sexual offences were committed against a 15-year-old girl from Somerset who Scott met through a social networking site in 2010.

The contact started when she was 14 years old and Scott was 19 years old.

The offences of violence relate to a 21-year-old woman who came forward and reported offences to us in August 2014. The incidents happened in the Bristol area.

In addition to a prison term, Lewis Scott will also be on the Sex Offenders’ Register for 10 years.

The two victims in this case have shown tremendous courage in disclosing details of the vile abuse they’ve suffered at the hands of Lewis Scott and for supporting the case throughout the court process.

Scott began contacting the girl when she was just 14, with the sexual offences against her occurring in 2010. He took advantage of her young age and naivety to commit some truly horrible crimes.

The offences were reported to us in the summer of 2014, which I hope shows that no matter how long ago offences are committed we’re able to thoroughly investigate them and bring those responsible to justice.

The pattern of behaviour demonstrated by Lewis Scott show him to be a manipulative and dangerous offender and I believe our communities are safer now he is behind bars.

We believe there may be more victims out there, so I would encourage anyone who has been affected by this case, or who has information which could help our ongoing inquiry, to come forward.

– PC Richard Grierson, Investigating officer

Advertisement

Man who carried out 'horrific' machete attack jailed

Nelo Smith's victim was in emergency surgery for 16 hours. Credit: Avon and Somerset Police

A man who left another man permanently disabled after attacking him with a machete has been jailed for 14 years at Bristol Crown Court.

Nelo Smith, 24, from Fishponds, was convicted of GBH for what the police have called a 'horrific' attack on a 36-year-old man, in a dispute over a drug deal in December.

The victim lost part of one hand and suffered severe injuries to his other hand and leg, spending 16 hours in emergency surgery and losing three points of blood.

Thieves ram car into wrong shop at Bristol's Cabot Circus

The thieves appear to have reversed their car into Kuoni by mistake. Credit: ITV News

Thieves who reversed a car into a Bristol clothes shop and stole designer goods appear to have hit the wrong one first - smashing into a travel agent before realising their mistake.

Nobody was hurt and nothing was taken from upmarket holiday agents Kuoni, however luxury clothes shop Garment Quarter had £20,000 of clothing and accessories stolen.

Police believe three men were involved in the break-in, which happened early this morning. They are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Garment Quarter had thousands of pounds worth of designer goods stolen. Credit: ITV News
Police believe three men were involved in the break-in. Credit: ITV News

Woman wanted in connection with serious assault in Bristol

Louise Gubb. Credit: Avon and Somerset Police

Police are appealing for help to find a woman wanted in connection with a serious assault.

A man was seriously injured after an assault on Wells Road, Bristol, allegedly involving 40-year-old Louise Gubb from Brislington.

Gubb has long blonde and brown hair, and is about 5ft 8ins tall

Mother and child from Somerset missing

Rebecca Minnock and her son have not been seen since Tuesday. Credit: Avon and Somerset Police

Police are appealing for help to find a mother and child from Somerset who have gone missing.

Rebecca Minnock, known as Becky, and her son Ethan were last seen on Tuesday near Musgrove Park Hospital in Taunton, Somerset.

Concern is growing for the welfare of the 35-year-old mum, who has dark hair and is of medium build, and three-year-old Ethan, who is blond and blue-eyed.

Police have asked anyone who uses public transport in particular to keep a lookout for the two.

Load more updates