Live updates

Advertisement

Bath bomb: behind the scenes video released of last week's incident

A video has been released online showing behind the scenes footage of how the Bath bomb was disarmed seven days ago.

The video - put together by Bath & North East Somerset Council and the British Army - shows how the bomb was made safe, taken away and eventually blown up in a controlled explosion.

Hundreds of people were evacuated from the Lansdown Road area of the city last Thursday after the bomb was discovered in a former school playground.

Bath bomb will be "safely destroyed" tonight

The bomb will be transported to a safe place before it is defused Credit: ITV News

A huge police cordon remains in place in Bath after an unexploded second world war bomb was discovered in the playground of a former school.

A 250-tonne sand barrier is currently being built around the bomb by army experts who plan to remove the device's fuse.

The bomb, which is almost a metre and a half long, will then be transported under a police escort to a safe place for a controlled explosion to be carried out.

It is expected the bomb will be removed late on Friday by soldiers from 721 EOD squadron of the Royal Logistics Corps.

Simon Cooke, who was a bomb disposal officer with the British Army's Royal Engineers for 20 years, said that if the 500lb bomb were to explode it would probably leave a 20m crater and produce "lethal shockwaves".

But in an attempt to reassure locals, Chief Superintendent Ian Smith, said experts hope to move the bomb from its current site tonight.

He said: "Currently the military are still on site. They are building a device around the site with 250 tonnes of sand.

"At some stage this evening they will move the device to somewhere safe so that it can be safely destroyed."

Advertisement

Hundreds of homes evacuated in Bath

Police cordon on Julian Road Credit: ITV News

Hundreds of people have been evacuated in Bath after a World War 2 bomb has been found on an old school site. Police were called to the school on Lansdown Road shortly after 4pm after contractors unearthed the device.

A 300 exclusion zone is in place and it's believed that up to a thousand properties are in that area. People are being sent to the Bath Racecourse.

Police have sealed off Lansdown Road Credit: ITV News

“Decisions to evacuate houses are never taken lightly but during these incidents public safety will always be our primary concern.”

– Inspector Gavin Usher

Third man charged after fatal tipper truck crash

The aftermath of the scene which killed four people Credit: ITV News

A 55 year-old man has been charged with two counts of manslaughter in connection with a tipper truck crash in Bath. Four people were killed in the accident in February 2015, including a four year-old girl.

Peter Wood, from Chippenham, appeared at Bath and Wansdyke Magistrates Court on Thursday. He's been released on bail to appear at Bristol Crown Court in June.

Mr Wood is the third person to be charged in connection with the fatal crash.

Phillip Potter, 19, from Wiltshire was charged with causing death by dangerous driving and two counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving. Matthew Gordon, 29, also from Wiltshire, was charged with dangerous driving and several counts of aiding and abetting. They're both due in Bristol Crown Court in July.

Body found in a field in Limpley Stoke

Man's body was found near the church in Limpley Stoke Credit: ITV News

A man's body has been discovered in a field in Limpley Stoke, near Bath this afternoon. Police have told ITV News a man in his 50s from the Bath area was reported missing this morning.

Shortly after 3pm his body was found in the Freshford/Limpley Stoke area. They are not treating his death as suspicious. Next of kin have been informed.

Load more updates