Live updates


Inquest shown CCTV of last moments Tom Edwards was seen alive

Mr Edwards had been on a night out at Rudi's bar in Swindon with colleagues from Nationwide.

He left to catch the last 55 bus back home. The inquest heard he jogged to the bus stop as he was running late.

Two policemen in a patrol car saw him fall over as he ran and then pick himself up.

PC Stephen Forest told the coroner: "I shouted 'are you okay?'" He ignored us and kept running.

The car finally caught up with Tom. He told the police he was running late for a bus. The officers gave him a lift to the bus stop.

"There was nothing about him to suggest he was going to come to any harm," said PC Forest.

The inquest was shown CCTV footage showing Mr Edwards running to the bus stop and then later walking through Swindon train station.

Inquest opens into Calne man found by railway line

The inquest into the death of Tom Edwards has opened. The 32 year old from Derry Hill near Calne was found near a railway line in July last year.

The Nationwide worker had been for a night out in Swindon. He was seen boarding the train in Swindon but did not get off the train at his stop - in Chippenham.

A large manhunt for the newlywed began after he went missing. His body was found in Saltersford Lane, which is about a mile and a half from Chippenham station.

Inquest into death of Wiltshire man to begin

Tom Edwards died last summer Credit: ITV News West Country

An inquest is due to take place today into the death of a 32-year-old man from Wiltshire.

Tom Edwards was found dead in July last year after failing to return home from a night out in Swindon. He was last seen boarding a train and his body was found close to railway tracks between Chippenham and Bath.


Wiltshire team run Bath half marathon in memory of friend

by Robert Murphy

15,000 runners are limbering up ready for one of the region's biggest road races - the Bath half marathon on Sunday. Each year, millions of pounds is raised for charities.

But a team from Wiltshire have a particularly poignant aim. They're running in memory of a Calne man Tom Edwards who died after a night out last year. They are raising thousands of pounds for the county's search and rescue team.

Inquest opened into Calne storm death

An inquest has been opened into the death of Roger Hayward, 71, who died while clearing a tree that had brought down power cables.

Wiltshire Coroner David Ridley was told Mr Hayward died from electrocution in the incident. He was identified by his wife Celia Hayward, 69. Mr Ridley, sitting at Salisbury, adjourned the inquest to a date to be fixed.

Read more: Wiltshire man killed after being electrocuted in storms

Tribute issued to 'larger than life' victim of storms

The following is a statement from the family of Roger Hayward, who died after being electrocuted whilst moving a fallen tree.

We would like to express our deep gratitude for the kind messages of condolence, love and support from friends and neighbours. [...] We are all shocked and deeply saddened with the passing of our dearest dad, husband, granddad and friend to many, Roger Hayward. [...] Roger was a larger than life character, a friend and helping hand to many and any that needed help. There are many stories of this covering not just Wiltshire but on occasions when on holiday too. Roger was one of life’s workers on his farm, never missed a day off in his life doing what he enjoyed to the end, helping others.

– Family of Roger Hayward

Read more: Wiltshire man dies after storm electrocution

Load more updates


Today's top stories