More than 5 million people in the West Country are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning because they do not have an alarm in their home.
The new research is part of a campaign to spread the awareness of the importance of carbon monoxide detectors.
Four people from Wellington in Somerset have been taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning after a gas leak at their home.
Fire crews were called out on saturday evening after reports of a carbon monoxide alarm going off.
Ambulance crews treated the four at the scene before taking them to hospital.
Crews found extremely high levels of carbon monoxide inside the house. The Gas board has made the property safe.
Gas Safe Register, a gas safety body, is warning of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning when camping. Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas which can be fatal if inhaled.
A study shows that one in five people do not know that using a gas barbeque inside a tent can lead to the illness. Around a quarter of those holidaying in the UK this summer will be camping or caravanning.