Police in Cheltenham are asking people to check cash machines for anything suspicious before taking out money.
It follows reports that a device may have been used on the cash points at Lloyds TSB and the NatWest in Bath Road last week.
There have been a number of complaints that they were keeping cards and that money had then been withdrawn from accounts. People who have been affected should contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.
Gloucestershire Police has the following advice for cashpoint users:
- Be aware of others around you. If someone is behaving suspiciously cancel the transaction and use a different machine.
- If you notice anything unusual about the cash machine, do not use it and report it to the bank or the Police.
- Do not accept advice about using the cash point from strangers and never allow yourself to be distracted.
- Put your money and card away before leaving the cash machine.
- If the cash machine does not return your card, report its loss immediately to your card company.