Live updates

Buses affected by fatal crash in Bath

Credit: ITV News

There is a limited First Bus service in Bath this morning due to a fatal accident that has blocked the entrance to its depot.

A serious crime scene, following a road traffic accident that happened in the early hours of this morning (not involving First Bus), has blocked the entrance to the First Bus depot on Lower Bristol Road.

Therefore, unfortunately, First Bus is unable to mobilise its 150 strong bus fleet and will be operating a very limited service in Bath this morning until such time as the police clear the crime scene.

– Firstbus spokesperson

The firm apologises for the inconvenience and says it is making every effort to secure buses from elsewhere across its network.

It is running a limited service between Bath and Bristol and on the Park and Ride but in the main services won’t operate.

Advertisement

Man suffers 'potentially life changing injuries' after brick thrown at bus

A 65-year-old man has suffered "potentially life changing injuries" after a brick was thrown through a bus window and hit him on the head.

The incident happened as the man was on the number 90 bus from Bristol city centre to Hengrove at around 11.30pm on Tuesday.

As the bus reached Inns Court Avenue in Knowle, a brick was thrown at the window, smashing it and striking the victim in the head.

He was taken to hospital for treatment where his condition has deteriorated. He is currently stable, but police say he has suffered "potentially life changing injuries".

  • Anyone with information should call Bristol Investigations via 101 and quote reference 5216140965.

Advertisement

Pledge to make Bristol's buses run on time

The aim is to get Bristol's buses running on time Credit: ITV News

Bus company First has entered into a joint pledge with Bristol City Council to improve punctuality of services in the city.

They want to make sure 95% of bus services start on time by 2020.

They'll work together to monitor services and identify any problems which are causing delays and change timetables or routes if necessary.

First is also introducing 59 new buses over the next six months.

Bus driver sacked for testing positive for drugs wins substantial pay out

A bus driver from Bristol who was sacked after testing positive for cocaine has won a substantial pay out by proving the drug came from bank notes handed over by passengers.

58-year-old Alan Bailes, had to take a saliva test after a complaint he was "under the influence of cannabis". He was dismissed by First Group for gross misconduct. Alan spent £440 on a more accurate hair follicle test with his GP which proved there had been no drugs in his system for 90 days.

Alan Bailes tested positive for cocaine after handling bank notes Credit: ITV News

But First Bus refused to reinstate him, despite his previously unblemished disciplinary record. After a two-and-a-half-year battle, Bristol Tribunal Court concluded he'd been unfairly dismissed and he has been awarded him a five-figure compensation sum.

First Group said "we believe we followed due process throughout."

Load more updates