Live updates

Farm death inquest

A five day inquest is due to start today into the death of a man who was working on a farm in Cornwall.

It's understood that 33 year old Jason Morgan from Bristol was installing safety netting at the farm at Roche when he died in 2011.

No further police action is being taken against two men arrested at the time.


Nurse in charge "can't remember" events

A senior nurse in charge of the ward at Bristol Children's Hospital where a young boy died has told an inquest she could not remember any events leading up to his near-fatal heart attack.

Four year old Sean Turner from Wiltshire had undergone surgery to correct heart problems.

Sean died from a brain haemorrhage, a month after suffering a cardiac arrest, despite his parent's protests he was getting worse.

Sue Conner, the nurse in charge of his ward, told the inquest she was present when a vital femoral line was removed from Sean's groin.

Doctors made the decision to remove and replace the line after it became infected but just 15 minutes later Sean suffered a heart attack.

Steve Turner, Sean's father, insists Mrs Conner was not present and that he had to help just one nurse take out the line while Sean was sat in his lap.

Parents tell inquest that hospital was understaffed

The parents of a four year old boy who died at Bristol Children's Hospital have told his inquest that his ward was understaffed.

Sean Turner died in the hospital from a brain haemorrhage in March 2012, six weeks after a heart operation. His parents told the court they witnessed a catalogue of errors at the hospital, and that doctors refused to move him to the Intensive Care Unit.

Sean's father and mother Steve & Yolande told ITV News about their experience at the hospital during Sean's treatment there.

Hospital Trust says cardiac surgery is safe ahead of inquest

The University Hospitals Bristol Trust has issued a statement to reassure people that children's cardiac services are safe ahead of an inquest into the death of Sean Turner.

Four-year-old Sean died of a brain haemorrhage at Bristol Children's Hospital six weeks after undergoing heart surgery.

We strive to do our best for children and their families and I am deeply saddened that this family feels that we let them down and would like to apologise to them for this.

I anticipate that the inquests may attract local and regional media coverage and, as such, I wanted to provide up to date assurances regarding the safety and quality of paediatric cardiac surgery services in the Bristol Children's Hospital.

First and foremost, I want to take this opportunity to confirm the safety profile of the Bristol paediatric cardiac service.

Like all paediatric cardiac units in England, the service's outcomes have and continue to be exposed to considerable review and scrutiny both from within and, importantly, independently through external bodies including the National Institute for Cardiovascular Outcomes Research (NICOR).

All of these reviews indicate that Bristol's services are safe and delivering good outcomes for children.

NHS England recently commissioned a review of mortality rates at the ten children's heart centres operating in England and found UH Bristol to be providing a safe service with good outcomes. The review did recommended further investigation into three units based on their outcomes but Bristol Children's Hospital was not one of them.

– University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust


Nurse inquest delayed

The inquest into the death of a nurse from Bristol, who took a prank call about the Duchess of Cambridge from two Australian DJs, will now take place in September.

Jacintha Saldanha was found dead in December in nurses' quarters, three days after she answered the call at a hospital where Kate Middleton was being treated for severe morning sickness.

Load more updates