Longleat Safari Park has announced that crowd favourite Boulas the gorilla has died
The 27-year-old male Western lowland gorilla Boulas died yesterday. Early indications are that he died of respiratory failure related to an undiagnosed abscess in his throat.
A full post mortem is being carried out.
Longleat’s Director of Animal Operations, Jon Cracknell, said: “This is a tragic loss and a cause for great sadness across the entire safari park.
“Boulas’ keepers in particular have been devastated by the death of an individual they worked and lived with every day.”
Boulas had undergone a standard veterinary procedure to treat a suspected dental abscess. Following recovery he suffered severe respiratory problems and despite the best efforts of the veterinary team, it was not possible to save him.
Boulas arrived at Longleat in 2012 from Twycross Zoo as part of a new state-of-the-art Gorilla Colony.
A family from Gloucestershire have been talking about their horror as their car caught fire in the middle of the lion enclosure at Longleat Safari Park. Helen Clements, her 12 year old daughter Charlie and 9 year old son George describe what happened in our skype interview.
A mother has spoken of her horror as her car caught fire in the lion enclosure at Longleat Safari Park, Wiltshire.Read the full story ›
Helen Clements and her children Charlie and George told ITV News that her car had "overheated", causing the family to abandon the vehicle at a lion enclosure at Longleat Safari Park.
Ms Clements said: "What we thought we better do is, because what you are supposed to do is sound your horn, so we did. But my son George thought he better get out the car, so he opened the door, and got out the car. And I just said "George don't get out of the car"".
The spokesman for Longleat Safari Park said that the visitors involved in the incident were believed to be a mother and her son and daughter who were aged around 12 or 13. Visitors said the lions were 150 metres from the people carrier when the incident happened and the car was left "burnt out".
The family remained in the smoking vehicle until the rangers arrived, and the car caught fire when they had left the area. Longleat staff said at no point were the mother and children waiting outside their vehicle.
Cars were cleared from the area following the fire to make way for the fire service, but the park was up and running again shortly after.
Laura Jeffries was a visitor at Longleat yesterday and saw the fire. She sent us this video.
A family with two children had to abandon their car in the lion enclosure at Longleat Safari Park yesterday after it caught fire.Read the full story ›
Longleat Safari Park in Wiltshire says it had to destroy five of its lions because they had serious genetic defects caused by inbreeding.Read the full story ›
Six lions have been put down at Longleat in Wiltshire.
In a statement the Safari Park said the decision was taken after the animals exhibited "odd aggressive behaviour." They also say a review of the genetic lineage of the lions showed inbreeding amongst their grandparents before coming to Longleat.
At the age of 13 months, at the collection where she was previously held, Louisa exhibited neurological clinical signs which were thought to have been caused by inadequate nutrition leading to hypovitaminosis A.
This was treated at the time but never fully resolved itself and she continued to exhibit clinical signs of head tilt and tremors throughout her life.
Despite suitable nutrition these neurological signs were present in her cubs, which were clearly distinct from other litters in the pride as they all individually exhibited adverse neurological signs such as ataxia, incoordination and odd aggressive behaviour that were not considered normal or appropriate compared to other animals within the collection.
Reviewing the genetic lineage of Louisa and her cubs it was found both Louisa's parents exhibited relatively high levels of inbreeding, prior to arrival, at a grand parentage level and great-grand parentage level.
After considering the pressures in the group, due to the recent increase in
pregnancies, and the developmental disorders present in the cubs it was reluctantly decided that euthanasia was the responsible option for these individuals.
These decisions involve communication with all of our current staff, management team and with independent external ethical reviews undertaken to ensure we are consistent with best practice.
One of Britain's most popular safari parks has defended a decision to cull six lions after an increase in pregnancies, which staff said had caused "excessive violent behaviour".
Longleat Safari Park in Wiltshire said a lioness and her cubs were suffering from "neurological development disorders" and ruled euthanasia was the "responsible option".
The explanation on the the park's Facebook page was met by a mixed reaction from the public.
The cull comes after a public campaign failed to stop Copenhagen Zoo from killing a young male giraffe.