Dewani trial told of 'a man who wants to kill a woman'
A witness has describes details of how the murder of Annie Dewani was planned during the trial of Xolile Mngeni, who is accused of the honeymooner's murder.
A witness, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has said that on the eve of Annie's murder he was approached by Zola Tongo, a taxi driver who has already been convicted over the murder, who told him that there was, “a gentleman who wanted to kill a woman”.
The prosecution maintain that this person was Annie's new husband Shrien Dewani, who remains in the UK pending ongoing extradition proceedings.
Mziwamadoda Qwabe has been jailed for 25 years after revealing to the South African Court today that he murdered honeymoon bride Anni Dewani. The court heard - he also admitted kidnapping, robbery and illegal posession of a firearm.
Anni married Bristol businessman Shrien Dewani in 2010. The couple went on honeymoon to South Africa and as they drove through Cape Town their taxi was apparently carjacked. Mr Dewani said he was pushed from the vehicle. It was found the next day in the Guglethu township. Anni's body was inside.
The taxi driver Zola Tongo admitted his part of a conspiracy and is serving an 18 year sentence. He said Shrien Dewani planned the killing and paid him the equivalent of £2,000 to make it happen. South African prosecutors are fighting to extradite Mr Dewani to the country to face trial.
That has been postponed because his doctors say he's suffering from post traumatic stress disorder, is a suicide risk and unfit to face trial while still ill.
Shrien Dewani denies any involvement in his wife's murder. He remains in the Bristol hospital where he is being treated.
Along with Qwabe, another man, Xolile Mngeni is also charged and is yet to plea.
A man from South Africa has pleaded guilty to kidnapping and killing honeymooner Anni Dewani.
Mziwamadoda Qwabe's lawyer said a plea agreement had been reached and signed. Anni's husband Shrien Dewani from Bristol also stands accused of arranging the murder. Last week, a British court heard that he needed a year to recover from depression before facing extradition proceedings.
Family of murdered man describe the 'nightmare' of his death
The family of a man stabbed to death in Colford say they're 'satisfied' with the life sentence given to the man who murdered him. The mother of 27-year-old Sean Hook says she has lost her trust in everyone since 34-year-old Ricky Enfield killed her son.
We’re devastated. It’s been a nightmare to us all. It’s awful without Sean. He was happy go lucky and will always be my baba. I can’t think of any words to describe what he [Ricky Enfield] has done. He’s disgusting. He’s absolutely wrecked my life. I feel like he’s made me a bag of nerves. I don’t want to be amongst people, I don’t trust anyone. I don’t have any confidence. I’m very satisfied with the verdict. He’s done the crime now he’s got to do the time. I’d like to thank police and victim support. They’ve been very supportive to me.
– Cheryl Waltham, mother of Sean Hook
This was a brutal killing that has left the family and friends of Sean Hook devastated and our thoughts are with them at this time. The tragic events of that night have touched a lot more people than just those directly involved and had a profound impact on a very close knit community. We hope this verdict provides some comfort to all those who have been affected.
– Detective Inspector Steve Bean, Gloucestershire Police
Enfield was given a life sentence at Bristol Crown Court and will have to serve a minimum of 17 years in jail.
A man, found guilty of murder after stabbing a man to death inthe Forest of Dean earlier this year, has been sentenced to 17 years in jail. Ricky Enfield, 34, and of Queensway, Broadwell, killed 27-year-old Sean Hook at a house in Cyril Hart Way, Coleford on February 10th.
Enfield was convicted earlier today (Thursday July 19) at Bristol Crown Court and sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum tariff of 17 years.