Paramedics recruited from Eastern Europe by South Western Ambulance Service have begun their practical training.Read the full story ›
A Bristol man has been compensated after a routine operation led to him having his left leg amputated.
Michael Stephenson, from Whitchurch, caught an infection following hip surgery in 2009.
The North Bristol NHS Trust has admitted negligence and compensated the 53 year-old, but he says surgeons need to be held accountable.
Failures at a Bristol hospital led to a man having to have his entire leg amputated after an infection following routine surgery.
Michael Stephenson, who's from Whitchurch, used to be an active man who's life was on the rugby pitch but six years ago a complication after a straight forward procedure on his hip meant his leg had to be amputated.
On the 20th July 2009 that Michael went into Southmead Hospital to have the routine procedure.
Five days later, the 53 year old should had been discharged but says the wound hadn't healed and there were signs of infection. It took more than a week for doctors to spot it, but it was then too late.
Over four years Michael had countless operations spending a total of two years in hospital. Until doctors finally decided to amputate his entire leg on 24th July 2013
The hospital apologised for the incident and admitted liability.
The Trust is pleased that agreement has now been reached and settlement achieved in relation to the injuries Mr Stephenson suffered.
Since liability was admitted in 2012, we have been working with Mr Stephenson’s legal team to establish his needs.
We hope that the compensation received will assist with Mr Stephenson's care and improve his quality of life.
We would like to re-iterate the apologies made in 2012 and offer Mr Stephenson and his family our best wishes for the future.
More than half a million people in the South West are at risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, says NHS England.
In Somerset, as many as 12% of people are at risk of the disease.
The NHS' figures are based on a rise in high blood sugar levels.
The widow of a man who died after a five hour ambulance delay says she can't understand why ambulance workers didn't take his meningitis symptoms more seriously.
I am extremely concerned about the treatment he received by the ambulance staff and I was baffled at the time that they didn’t seem to be taking into consideration his symptoms and the urgency of his situation.
I am still amazed now that the paramedics took such a long time to realise the red flag symptoms of meningitis that Mthuthuzeli was experiencing and it took them six hours to send an ambulance. It is incredibly well known that you have to act quickly if someone starts to suffer from symptoms of meningitis and his death could have been avoided if they had taken the care and attention to give him the medical care he rightly deserved.
A Coroner has ruled that ambulance service failures contributed to a man's death. 38-year-old Mthuthuzeli Mpongwana died from meningitis at the Bristol Royal Infirmary after waiting five hours for an ambulance. The Coroner said his death was from natural causes but it "was contributed to by a failure to take appropriate action in the face of an obvious need".
An inquest into the death of a man from Bristol, who had to wait five hours for an ambulance to take him to hospital, has started today.Read the full story ›
A new surgical procedure that could help save the lives of hundreds of patients, with serious heart conditions is now on offer in Bristol.Read the full story ›
The NHS advises that every suspected case of meningitis should be treated as a medical emergency.
Babies and young children under five are most at risk of developing bacterial meningitis. Its symptoms usually begin suddenly and get worse rapidly.
A baby or young child with meningitis may:
- have a high fever, with cold hands and feet
- vomit and refuse to feed
- feel agitated and not want to be picked up
- become drowsy, floppy and unresponsive
- grunt or breathe rapidly
- have an unusual high-pitched or moaning cry
- have pale, blotchy skin, and a red rash that doesn't fade when a glass is rolled over it
- have a tense, bulging soft spot on their head (fontanelle)
- have a stiff neck and dislike bright lights
- have convulsions or seizures
More information can be found here.
A couple from Somerset say delays in diagnosing their baby with meningitis nearly cost her her life.Read the full story ›