Live updates

Man in his 80s rescues man in his 90s from fire

A man in 90s has been helped from his smoke-filled home in Clevedon by a neighbour aged in his 80s after a kitchen fire earlier today, 24 December.

It’s believed the neighbour saw smoke coming from the house in Highdale Avenue. When he realised the man was inside, he went in to bring him out.

An off-duty firefighter who also lived nearby arrived shortly afterwards to help. Two fire crews from Clevedon put the flames out. The house was badly damaged by heat and smoke.

The occupant and his neighbour were treated by paramedics at the scene after breathing in smoke.

Avon Fire and Rescue Service has praised the bravery of the neighbour but warns people not to enter properties on fire.

Blind man calls for crossing after being hospitalised

A blind pensioner from North Somerset is in hospital with a fractured skull after being hit by a car - at exactly the spot where he has been campaigning for a crossing.

79-year-old Ray Stevens says he blames the local council for his injuries after rejecting his pleas to improve safety on a busy road.

Richard Payne reports:

Advertisement

Watch: full interview with Laura Doggett, singing star of the new Broadchurch trailer

The long awaited second series of Broadchurch returns in the New Year, but a trailer is out to whet your appetite.

The latest teaser features a song by Laura Doggett, a singer-songwriter and former student of City of Bath College.

We caught up with Laura to talk about her success and her love of Bath.

Micky Bell leaves Weston-super-Mare FC

Micky Bell pictured with Doncaster Rovers manager Paul Dickov. Credit: Simon Galloway/PA Wire

Weston-super-Mare manager Micky Bell has left the club by mutual consent.

A statement on the club's website said: "We would like to thank Micky for his efforts on behalf of the Club."

The Seagulls are currently second from bottom and four points from safety in the Conference South.

Weston had been due to face Whitehawk at the Woodspring Stadium this afternoon but the game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Bell's last game was on Tuesday - a 4-1 defeat against League One side Doncaster in the FA Cup.

Advertisement

Statement from Puxton Park over lone adults ban

Most of the attractions at Puxton Park are geared to under 7s Credit: ITV News

The Managing Director of Puxton Park in North Somerset has issued a statement following a complaint that the attraction has banned single adults without children from entry on child protection grounds.

This has been blown out of all proportion. The main aspect not being reported is that Puxton Park is predominantly an attraction for children aged 0 years to 7 years with 90% of the park dedicated fully to child’s play, which is not suitable for lone adults.

“Some adults may be interested in our falconry department and we offer falconry experience days which are open to all. We have not set out to discriminate against single adults but we take child protection extremely seriously.

We would rather be over zealous when unaccompanied adults visit us armed with cameras than put children at any potential risk. Even schools follow similar policies with regards to the photography of children.

Our members fully support our decisions and we have received nothing but praise for our policy including positive feedback from a Child Protection Specialist, who commended us for our child protection principals.

Within seven years we have only had one complaint about this policy from the gentlemen last week.

At the time of setting the policy the other parks within the area had a similar stance to us. I have spoken to two or three similar client-based parks this morning and they still have the same policy as we do. I’m not going to name names as it’s unprofessional of me to do so.

In light of this coverage we will look at what other parks are doing with their admissions policy, speak to our customers and review.

– Alistair Mead Managing Director of Puxton Park

Man dies after crash on A370 Long Ashton bypass

A 55-year-old man has died after a crash on the A370 near Bristol last night. Credit: Bing maps

A man has died after a crash on the A370 Long Ashton bypass near Bristol.

A BMW Cabriolet left the road at around 10.35pm last night on the Bristol-bound carriageway and collided with a number of trees and a road sign before landing on its roof.

The 55-year-old driver from the Bristol area was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police are keen to speak to anyone who was travelling along the bypass at the time of the incident.

The road has now re-opened, but traffic is heavy in the area.

Load more updates