Sir Ranulph Fiennes has become the oldest Briton to complete the Marathon des Sables.
The 71-year-old explorer crossed the finish line at 7.37pm after running for six days in over 50C heat in the South Moroccan desert.
The veteran explorer was almost forced to pull out on Thursday as the exertion had begun to take its toll on his heart. Nevertheless he completed the 256km ultra marathon and raised nearly £1 million for Marie Curie.
Sir Ranulph Fiennes has been taken to the medical tent at the Marathon des Sables following concerns for his health.
The 71-year-old, who's from Exmoor, explorer is receiving medical attention after running for 30 hours in over 50C (122F) heat.
Sir Ranulph completed the most gruelling stage of the Marathon des Sables earlier today, but was taken straight to the medical tent as the exertion had begun to take its toll on his heart.
The veteran explorer, who has previously suffered two heart attacks and underwent a double heart bypass in 2003, was forced to lie down intermittently during the last few hours of the race, after fears he would not be able to finish the stage.
Speaking from the medical tent, Sir Ranulph said the last few hours had been "more hellish than hell".
But Sir Ranulph, who is pushing to become the oldest Briton to complete the six-day ultra-marathon in the South Moroccan desert, said thoughts of the Marie Curie teams he is raising money for kept him going.
Sir Ranulph, who began the challenging fourth stage of the event at 8:30am on Wednesday, has covered 56 miles, stopping for an hour at 04:30am this morning to sleep out on the race course.
But the race, which has already seen more than 75 people drop out, is still not over and Sir Ranulph still has one more marathon to complete tomorrow before finally finishing the race.
Sir Ranulph Fiennes is on day three of a six-day race through the Sahara Desert.
It's the formidable Marathon des Sables - a 156-mile run across the desert in 50 degree heat.
The 71 year old explorer from Exmoor wants to become the oldest Brit to complete the run.
He's raising £2.5 million for Marie Curie. The charity provides support for people living with a terminal illness.
Today, it's 60 years since the first successful expedition to the summit of Mount Everest
Exmoor-based explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes has been remembering his ascent of the world's tallest mountain. He reached the top in May 2009.
The Exmoor-based explorer has been speaking of his disappointment at having to pull out of an expedition to cross the Antarctic in winter. He has been planning it for the last five years.
The 68-year-old is now receiving treatment for frostbite to one of his hands.
At a press conference this morning, the West-based explorer brought journalists up to date...
His team-mates will continue with the 2,000 mile trek, which they are expected to start later this month.
Hailed as the last great polar challenge, the journey to cross the continent has never been attempted during winter. Sir Ranulph would have been the oldest explorer to try.
Sir Ranulph Fiennes said today (Mon) that he was "frustrated" at being forced to pull out of an expedition across Antarctica due to injury.
The 68-year-old, who lives on Exmoor, was speaking at a press conference after flying into Heathrow. He was injured in a fall while training at a base camp.
He developed frostbite after taking off his outer gloves to fix a ski binding in temperatures of around minus 33C (minus 27.4F).
It has forced Sir Ranulph to quit the Coldest Journey expedition, which has been five years in the planning. He will continue to support the project through fundraising.
The explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes - who lives on Exmoor - is due to begin treatment for severe frostbite in South Africa.
He was flown out of Antarctica last night after being forced to abandon his latest challenge. He had hoped to be one of the first people to cross Antarctica in winter but his team say the expedition will go on without him.
The explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes - who lives on Exmoor - is due to begin treatment for severe frostbite at a hospital in South Africa. He was flown out from Antarctica last night after being forced to abandon his latest challenge.
He had hoped to be one of the first people to cross the continent in winter but the expedition will go ahead without him. Once he's back home, Sir Ranulph will work on promoting and education people about the mission.