Live updates

Search for man linked to possible child abduction attempts

Police investigating a series of possible child abduction attempts in South Gloucestershire have issued a picture of a man they want to speak to.

He is said to be in his forties, with a distinctive black mark under his right eye.

The man is connected to three incidents earlier this month in Yate, Pilning and Thornbury. Each time the children were approached by a man driving a small blue hatchback and asked if they wanted a lift.

The police are looking for a man who looks like this. Credit: Avon and Somerset Police

Stranger danger cases in Bristol and South Glos are not a "linked series of attempted abductions"

Police investigating a number of suspicious incidents involving men approaching children outside schools in Bristol and South Gloucestershire say they don't believe they are "a series of linked attempted abductions."

Avon and Somerset Police have now investigated most of the incidents that were reported. In some cases they turned out to be simply inappropriate and abusive comments, incidents not involving children or, in other cases, not an incident at all.

"While we understand any incident involving stranger danger are worrying for parents, these reports do not involve any attempted abductions."

– Avon & Somerset Police

Advertisement

Police warning after children approached by stranger

Police are appealing for information on a man approaching children. Credit: PA

A man approached schoolchildren in South Gloucestershire and asked if they wanted a lift in his car in three separate incidents on Wednesday.

None of the children interacted with him, and he left soon afterwards. Police believe these reports could be connected, but do not think they are linked to similar reports in Bristol.

The incidents took place in Yate, Pilning and Thornbury, and each time the man drove a small blue hatchback.

Police have increased patrols in these areas around school times, and are urging parents and children to be careful.

Jake Sims and Stereo Kicks booted off X Factor

Stereo Kicks' Jake Sims performing in the sing-off Credit: ITV.com/X Factor

The dream is over for X Factor finalist Jake Sims from Warmley in South Gloucestershire.

His boy band Stereo Kicks were voted off the ITV competition in the quarter finals, leaving only four acts remaining.

They fell foul of the public vote after the judges were split between the eight-strong band and 17-year-old Lauren Platt.

Simon Cowell had the critical vote to either save the group or force a deadlock and defer to the public vote.

He said: "The act that sang the best on the sing off was Lauren," voting to keep her in the competition.

Cheryl Fernandez-Versini stood by her act, Lauren Platt but told the boy band they had talent and could still grow.

Louis Walsh also stood by his act, Stereo Kicks.

Mel B voted in favour of the boys too, apologising to Fernandez-Versini before she said she had to vote for Lauren Platt to leave.

Some members of the boy band wept as their X Factor stint came to an end but said they were thankful to have been on the show.

Speaking on the Xtra Factor afterwards, Simon Cowell told Louis Walsh his poor song choice was to blame. But Walsh insisted: "I did 100% the best I could and they know that. They'll tell you that later."

But Jake Sims will still have a shot of the limelight - Stereo Kicks will be taking part in the X Factor Live Tour in 2015.

Jake (far left) and Stereo Kicks discuss their Xperience on the Xtra Factor Credit: ITV.com/X Factor

£4.7 million for new aerospace centre at Filton

The Bristol Aero Collection Trust has been awarded £4.7 million from the Heritage Lottery Fund to build a new aerospace centre at Filton Airfield. As well as being used as a museum, the centre will also provide a permanent home for Concorde 216 - the last plane of its kind to be assembled at the Filton site.

Concorde 216 arrives back at Filton after its last flight, 2003. Credit: PA

Winterbourne promises neglected, says report

The former Winterbourne View care home in Hambrook, South Gloucestershire Credit: PA

Promises made after the Winterbourne View scandal have still not been met, according to an official report.

11 people were convicted for abusing residents at the South Gloucestershire care home in 2011.

As a result, ministers pledged to move people out of institutions and into the community by June this year but there has been little change.

We need to radically ramp up the rights of people with learning disabilities and their families. We need to ramp up community provision so that we can close institutions that hurt people rather than help them.

– Sir Stephen Bubb, report author

Advertisement

Jake Sims and Stereo Kicks in final five

Jake Sims (second from right) and Stereo Kicks are in the final five of X Factor Credit: ITV.com/X Factor

Jake Sims from Warmley in South Gloucestershire is in the final five of the X Factor. His band, the eight-strong Stereo Kicks, were voted through without a hitch this weekend after performing Sir Elton John's "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me".

Judge Simon Cowell told the band, "You just did it, you did everything right, you look like a proper group."

You can find out how the guys are getting on here.

Met Office issues fog warning for the West

The Met Office has issued a yellow warning of fog affecting Gloucestershire, South Gloucestershire, Bristol, Devon, Somerset, Dorset and Wiltshire.

It will come into force from 7pm tonight and last until 10am tomorrow, Tuesday 25 November.

Freezing fog is predicted tonight, which will reduce visibility and make driving more dangerous Credit: PA

Patchy fog is expected to form soon after dark tonight and then will become quite widespread and locally dense. It will freeze during the evening, reducing visibility to less than 100m in places.

It is likely to persist through tomorrow's rush hour but may begin to disperse as cloud increases from the south.

Transport could be disrupted so commuters should be prepared.

Man and woman found dead in Yate have been named

A man and woman found dead at a house in Yate have been named.

46 year old Jonathan and 50 year old Deborah Coster have now been formally identified. Their bodies were found at a property in Cherington at around 11am on 13th November.

Their deaths are being treated as unexplained. A post-mortem examination is due to be carried out this week to determine the cause of deaths but it is not believed to be suspicious.

Load more updates