A pathologist who worked in Bristol is being investigated after more than 100 mistakes were made in medical reportsRead the full story ›
A couple who lost an unborn baby to complications from twin to twin transfusion syndrome have raised money for research into the condition.Read the full story ›
The parents of a baby boy who suffered catastrophic injuries at birth are to receive a lifetime settlement to pay for his care after a hospital in Bristol admitted liability.
Midwives at St Michael's Hospital made a series of errors which led to Ollie Lewis suffering brain damage when he was born two years ago. The trust that runs the hospital has now agreed to pay his parents, who live in Weston Super Mare, for his continuing care.
Ollie's father Neil Lewis says the admission has left him and his partner Charmaine Malcolm with mixed emotions.
Of course, we are relieved that Ollie's future will be financially secure and that the trust has admitted its mistakes, but at the same time it's hard to come to terms with the fact that our son is permanently brain-damaged because of failures by the midwifery team and hospital.
We trusted the hospital staff and believed they would do everything possible to keep Charmaine and Ollie safe, so to know this wasn't the case has left us feeling angry, confused and frustrated.
Ollie is a remarkable little boy and we are incredibly proud of him, but nothing can turn back the clock.
University Hospitals Bristol NHS Foundation Trust says it offers "**sincere condolences" to Rohan Rhodes’ family.
We hope that the inquest has helped to answer their questions about why Rohan died.
The Coroner's narrative conclusion reflects the sad situation that Rohan was an extremely premature baby and therefore at risk of developing the serious bowel condition from which he ultimately succumbed.
The trust says it has put in place 'clear requirements' for blood gas measurements in babies on respiratory support and has implemented a system of safety checking for medical and nursing staff looking after individual babies.
St Michael’s Hospital has an outstanding Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), offering the most advanced care and support to babies and families. However, the Coroner has identified that there were missed opportunities to perform a particular test during Rohan's admission, specifically three blood gas measurements.
The Coroner has confirmed that what those results would have been remains unknown, but we are very sorry that those three checks were missed, within continuous monitoring of Rohan's critical condition within NICU.
The coroner says there were "lost opportunities" in the care of a premature baby who died after being removed from a ventilator.Read the full story ›
The Coroner in the inquest of baby Rohan Rhodes, who died at St Michael's Hospital, says there were "lost opportunities" in his care.
Rohan, who was born 15 weeks premature in Wales, died after being removed from a ventilator after being transferred to St Michael's in Bristol.
Flax Bourton Coroner's Court heard the medical team's plan was to keep Rohan on the ventilator ahead of upcoming heart surgery.
But advanced neonatal nurse Amanda Dallorzo took the "autonomous" decision to remove the machine and put a breathing mask on Rohan instead.
His condition deteriorated and he developed NEC, a gastrointestinal disease, which required surgery.
He never became stable for the operation and he died, aged just 36 days.
Avon Coroner Maria Voisin recorded a narrative verdict following a three day inquest into Rohan's death.
Rohan Rhodes was an extremely premature baby who was at risk of developing NEC.
He developed this condition which caused his death on September 30.
On September 29, there were three occasions when he should have had a blood gas test.
It is not known what results would have been, but these were lost opportunities which may have resulted in Rohan receiving earlier medical care.
A nurse at the inquest into the death of premature baby Rohan Rhodes at St Michael's Hospital in Bristol hospital has given evidence.Read the full story ›
The parents of baby Rohan Rhodes have told the inquest into his death that his ventilator was removed too soon by hospital staff in Bristol.Read the full story ›
The mother of a baby boy who died two days after being born says she feels 'completely let down' by the midwifery team at a hospital in Bristol.
An inquest into the death of Natasha McDowell's son, Jared, heard claims that she was 'brushed aside as a paranoid mother' by staff at St Michael's Hospital when she raised concerns about his feeding and unusual crying.
The hospital trust has defended its treatment. A verdict on the cause of death is expected tomorrow.
A hospital has defended itself after it allowed a woman to have her pet dog present at the birth of her child. The dog was there for the duration of the labour at St Michael's Hospital in Bristol.
The hospital said the woman was able to bring the dog into the delivery suite because he's a certified therapy dog who regularly visits patients.