Hidden monuments have been discovered under the ground at Stone Henge. 17 previously unknown structures have been mapped by scientists investigating the area as well as burial mounds that have merged into the current landscape. It's thought they're around 6000 years old.
An excited young family from Wiltshire has told ITV News they are "euphoric" after meeting Barack Obama during his impromptu visit to Stonehenge on Friday.
Janice and James Raffle and their three sons live a mile up the road from the ancient landmark.
They were playing in the garden when they heard helicopters overhead, and decided to make a dash up to the site after hearing the President may be in the area.
After a quick drive, they got even more than they bargained for, when the leader of the free world waved to them and then began approaching for a chat.
The family were told by security officials to "just walk slowly", which they duly did before meeting Mr Obama.
The Raffles were just as polite - welcoming Mr Obama to England.
"Not just England, not just any part of England," he responded.
It was clearly a thrilling experience - and not only for boys Angus, 8, Joshua, 7, and Barney, 3.
"I squealed like a teenager. You'd think I would know better," Janice said.
Eldest son Angus was equally enthusiastic: "It was awesome," he said. "I shook hands with him."
And even the President himself seemed excited by the whole experience - proclaiming Stonehenge somewhere he had always wanted to visit.
"How cool is this?! It's spectacular!" he exclaimed as he roamed the ancient landmark, followed by press.
"Knocked it off the bucket list," he added.
More than 30,000 people are expected to gather at Stonehenge in Wiltshire tomorrow to celebrate the Summer Solstice. It would be the largest gathering at the stones since they were re-opened for the solstice in the year 2000.
The police and English Heritage are asking people to arrive early as there will be congestion in the area. Sunrise is at 5am.
A new housing estate opened today - but it's different - very different to normal. The homes were built using neolithic methods.
They've been put up outside the new Stonehenge visitor centre to give tourists an idea what life was like four thousand years ago. And the homes were built by a team of volunteers, as our Wiltshire correspondent Robert Murphy reports.
Visitors to Stonehenge will be able to see what life was like for Neolithic people as five recreated houses open today.
The homes are based on buildings excavated nearby in 2006. They date back to the same time the stones were put up - around 2500 BC. English Heritage began building the replicas in February.
New research has confirmed that Amesbury in Wiltshire, has been continually occupied for every millennia since 8820BC making it the longest continuous settlement in the United Kingdom and this has been confirmed today by the Guinness book of Records.
The parish of Amesbury includes Stonehenge and the latest findings come after a dig last October funded by the University of Buckingham. It unearthed the largest haul of worked flints across the Mesolithic period ever found.
In just 40 days a 31,000 were uncovered in a 16 metre square area and more than 2,000 were found in one square metre – the largest concentration of such finds in Europe. Previously the largest number found in one location around Stonehenge was just 50.
The archeologists working on the dig have concluded that this shows British settlers were behind the building of Stonehenge and not people from Europe as has been often suggested.
Visitor numbers to Stonehenge went up by almost 19% in the past year. More than 1.2 million people visited the site, which is the most popular destination in the South West. A new visitor centre was opened in December which aims to attract even more people this year.
There's been a fresh call for a tunnel on the A303 in Wiltshire to avoid traffic driving past Stonehenge.
MPs were told today that the landmark is in danger of being put on UNESCO's "at risk" register because it is so close to a busy trunk road.
Today the area's MP, John Glen, used a Parliamentary debate to call for a deep tunnel, similar to one scrapped in 2005, as a permanent solution to the problem.
Vistors to a new multi-million pound centre at Stonehenge have criticised English Heritage as the venue struggles to cope with high numbersRead the full story ›
Managers at Stonehenge's new visitor centre say feedback has been "overwhelmingly positive", though they admit there have been "some issues."
The statement comes after the centre received a number of complaints about overcrowding and delays in the transport to the stones.
There has been huge interest in Stonehenge since the new visitor centre opened towards the end of December. On one day alone we welcomed 5000 visitors which is along the same levels as during our peak summer season.
This is a brand new operation, on a completely different scale to the old visitor centre, and naturally during these early days, there have been some issues. But we are solving them, we have increased our shuttle service taking people to the stones and from 1 February, our timed ticketing system will swing into place.
The majority of feedback has been overwhelmingly positive, visitors have been fascinated by our new exhibition and love the sense that the stones are now reconnected with the wider landscape. We appreciate all the feedback we've received and we would ask people to be patient while we iron out the few remaining issues.