Experts have hit out at plans for a 1.8 mile tunnel past Stonehenge, warning it could damage the oldest encampment discovered near the stones.
Charcoal dug up from the Mesolithic encampment at Blick Mead in the World Heritage Site, around one and a half miles from the stones, has been tested and found to date back to around 4,000 BC, archaeologists said.
A dig by the University of Buckingham has also unearthed evidence of possible structures, but more investigation is needed to see what the site contains. There is also evidence of feasting, including flints and giant bulls known as aurochs, the experts said.
But they warn that the chance to find out about the earliest chapter of Britain's history could be damaged by the plans for a tunnel through the World Heritage Site as part of efforts to relieve the A303 bottleneck at Stonehenge.
The two billion pound scheme would see the road put into a dual carriageway tunnel past Stonehenge, improving congestion and the setting of the stones - giving the public greater access to the wider prehistoric landscape and benefiting wildlife, supporters say.
But archaeologist David Jaques, who made the discovery of the encampment, said: "The Prime Minister is interested in re-election in 140 days - we are interested in discovering how our ancestors lived six thousand years ago."
He added: "Blick Mead could explain what archaeologists have been searching for for centuries - an answer to the story of Stonehenge's past.
"But our chance to find out about the earliest chapter of Britain's history could be wrecked if the tunnel goes ahead."
The new Stonehenge Visitor Centre turns one today.
The multi-million pound facility began life with a few teething problems, including complaints about overcrowding and delays. However, a record 1.3 million people have visited it in the past year, including US President Barack Obama.
Earlier this year a beam of light was shone from the stone circle to commemorate the start of the First World War, followed by a special ceremony commemorating a million First World War soldiers.
Stonehenge is marking the 100th anniversary of the outbreak of World War I by projecting the images of soldiers onto its ancient stonesRead the full story ›
Hidden monuments have been discovered under the ground at Stone Henge. 17 previously unknown structures have been mapped by scientists investigating the area as well as burial mounds that have merged into the current landscape. It's thought they're around 6000 years old.
An excited young family from Wiltshire has told ITV News they are "euphoric" after meeting Barack Obama during his impromptu visit to Stonehenge on Friday.
Janice and James Raffle and their three sons live a mile up the road from the ancient landmark.
They were playing in the garden when they heard helicopters overhead, and decided to make a dash up to the site after hearing the President may be in the area.
After a quick drive, they got even more than they bargained for, when the leader of the free world waved to them and then began approaching for a chat.
The family were told by security officials to "just walk slowly", which they duly did before meeting Mr Obama.
The Raffles were just as polite - welcoming Mr Obama to England.
"Not just England, not just any part of England," he responded.
It was clearly a thrilling experience - and not only for boys Angus, 8, Joshua, 7, and Barney, 3.
"I squealed like a teenager. You'd think I would know better," Janice said.
Eldest son Angus was equally enthusiastic: "It was awesome," he said. "I shook hands with him."
And even the President himself seemed excited by the whole experience - proclaiming Stonehenge somewhere he had always wanted to visit.
"How cool is this?! It's spectacular!" he exclaimed as he roamed the ancient landmark, followed by press.
"Knocked it off the bucket list," he added.
More than 30,000 people are expected to gather at Stonehenge in Wiltshire tomorrow to celebrate the Summer Solstice. It would be the largest gathering at the stones since they were re-opened for the solstice in the year 2000.
The police and English Heritage are asking people to arrive early as there will be congestion in the area. Sunrise is at 5am.
A new housing estate opened today - but it's different - very different to normal. The homes were built using neolithic methods.
They've been put up outside the new Stonehenge visitor centre to give tourists an idea what life was like four thousand years ago. And the homes were built by a team of volunteers, as our Wiltshire correspondent Robert Murphy reports.
Visitors to Stonehenge will be able to see what life was like for Neolithic people as five recreated houses open today.
The homes are based on buildings excavated nearby in 2006. They date back to the same time the stones were put up - around 2500 BC. English Heritage began building the replicas in February.
New research has confirmed that Amesbury in Wiltshire, has been continually occupied for every millennia since 8820BC making it the longest continuous settlement in the United Kingdom and this has been confirmed today by the Guinness book of Records.
The parish of Amesbury includes Stonehenge and the latest findings come after a dig last October funded by the University of Buckingham. It unearthed the largest haul of worked flints across the Mesolithic period ever found.
In just 40 days a 31,000 were uncovered in a 16 metre square area and more than 2,000 were found in one square metre – the largest concentration of such finds in Europe. Previously the largest number found in one location around Stonehenge was just 50.
The archeologists working on the dig have concluded that this shows British settlers were behind the building of Stonehenge and not people from Europe as has been often suggested.
Visitor numbers to Stonehenge went up by almost 19% in the past year. More than 1.2 million people visited the site, which is the most popular destination in the South West. A new visitor centre was opened in December which aims to attract even more people this year.