The South West Tourism awards are taking place. They celebrate how important the region's visitor attractions are to this part of the world.Read the full story ›
Thomson Airways have confirmed a flight from Sharm el-Sheikh will arrive in Bristol later today.
Thousands of holiday makers have been stranded at the resort after flights from Sharm el-Sheikh to the UK were initially suspended on Wednesday.
Downing Street revealed an "explosive device" may have caused a Russian plane to crash, killing 224 people on board, after it left Sharm el-Sheikh earlier in the week.
A flight is due to land at Bristol airport around 19:20 this evening (Oct 7).
We continue to work with the U.K. Government to try and finalise our flying programme for the following days and we will update accordingly when further information becomes available.
These flights will operate under special security measures mandated by the UK Government. Customers will not be able to bring any hold luggage with them on these flights. Only hand luggage can be brought on board and normal Thomson cabin baggage restrictions apply.
All hold luggage will be returned to customers under separate secure cover arranged by the UK Government.
Stonehenge has been rated one of the 500 best places to visit in the world.
Travel guide Lonely Planet has put Wiltshire's towering ancient monument at number 62. The number one spot was taken by the temples of Angkor in Cambodia.
The Ultimate Travelist is being published today, and has a reputation as a dream to-do list for many travellers.
David Cameron is today expected to announce a £5 million investment in tourism in the region.
The move has been welcomed by the VisitEngland Chief James Berresford who said the five point plan to support tourism growth across the UK was further recognition of the enormous value and contribution of the industry.
Placing tourism at the heart of Government will do much to support plans to rebalance the economy.
We have invested £57m of Government funds in English tourism over the past five years which has to date generated over £1.5 billion growth in visitor spending and created over 28,000 jobs.
We aim to build on this success with both the Northern and South West Tourism Growth Funds, and the proposed Product Development Fund recommended in the Triennial Review of VisitEngland.
As part of a £5million South West Tourism Growth Fund announced by Government, a range of activity will take place to grow tourism, deliver economic growth and boost export earnings in the South West of England.
Our ambition for the South West Tourism Growth Fund is to work closely with VisitBritain and partner destinations to create an additional visitor spend of £60 million, supporting the creation of 1,000 jobs to boost the South West visitor economy.
The Chancellor George Osborne has been visiting Somerset to announce more money for Cathedral repairs and also to capitalise on last week's announcement of a drop in cider duty.
But tourist attraction owners have told ITV News their campaign for a reduction in VAT has been ignored, putting jobs at risk.
Our political reporter Robert Murphy was with the Chancellor.
Glastonbury Festival organiser Emily Eavis has become a tourism ambassador for Somerset.
Her father Michael is also an ambassador and the two have been running the world famous music festival together since 2000.
120,000 tickets for this year's event sold out in a record 26 minutes. The line-up has yet to be announced.
Matthew Richards describes his reaction on being told he could not visit Puxton Park on his own:
But Alistair Mead, Managing Director of Puxton, says the park's target market (0-7 year-olds) means adults would have no cause to go there alone:
The Managing Director of Puxton Park in North Somerset has issued a statement following a complaint that the attraction has banned single adults without children from entry on child protection grounds.
This has been blown out of all proportion. The main aspect not being reported is that Puxton Park is predominantly an attraction for children aged 0 years to 7 years with 90% of the park dedicated fully to child’s play, which is not suitable for lone adults.
“Some adults may be interested in our falconry department and we offer falconry experience days which are open to all. We have not set out to discriminate against single adults but we take child protection extremely seriously.
We would rather be over zealous when unaccompanied adults visit us armed with cameras than put children at any potential risk. Even schools follow similar policies with regards to the photography of children.
Our members fully support our decisions and we have received nothing but praise for our policy including positive feedback from a Child Protection Specialist, who commended us for our child protection principals.
Within seven years we have only had one complaint about this policy from the gentlemen last week.
At the time of setting the policy the other parks within the area had a similar stance to us. I have spoken to two or three similar client-based parks this morning and they still have the same policy as we do. I’m not going to name names as it’s unprofessional of me to do so.
In light of this coverage we will look at what other parks are doing with their admissions policy, speak to our customers and review.
A family attraction in North Somerset won't admit single men and women without children because of paedophile fearsRead the full story ›
There's a question mark over the future of one of Weston-super-Mare's biggest seaside events, the Sand Sculpture Festival.
Organiser Nicola Wood says they may not return next year because of the costs of setting up, and it will be heartbreaking to leave the town: