Live updates

Stereo Kicks X Factor performance interrupted

Stereo Kicks made it through to the next round of the X Factor last night. The eight strong boy band, which includes Bristol's Jake Sims, were successful despite an unscheduled interuption by comedian Lee Nelson. He invaded the stage and joined in only to be escorted off by a security guard.

You can watch the performance below - Nelson's stunt is at 1:15:

Jake Sims survives to sing another week

Jake Sims singing his heart out in the Halloween-themed competition on Saturday Credit: ITV/Syco

Boyband Stereo Kicks, which features Jake Sims from Warmley in South Gloucestershire, have survived a second sing-off in ITV's X Factor.

Louis Walsh and Mel B opted to send home Lola Saunders, while Cheryl Fernandez-Versini and Simon Cowell chose to get rid of the group

It meant the decision was thrown back to the public vote, with Lola losing out.

After the sing-off Louis, who mentors Stereo Kicks, said: "It was an amazing sing off. I love Lola and Stereo Kicks you sang your heart out."

Stereo Kicks survived the sing-off thanks to the public vote Credit: ITV/X Factor


Stereo Kicks through to next round of the X Factor

Stereo Kicks are staying as an eight-piece band on the show Credit: Twitter/The X Factor

Bristol teenager Jake Sims and his band Stereo Kicks are through to the next round of the X Factor.

The eight-piece boy band was in the bottom two last weekend, staying only when Chloe-Jasmine Whichello lost the sing-off.

But the boys turned it around on Saturday’s show, performing a medley of The Beatles classics “Let It Be” and “Hey Jude”, which was enough to see them, straight through to next week.

Their success comes after rumours that at least one of the boys would be made to leave the competition after their mentor Louis Walsh admitted that he never wanted the group to have eight members.

But as he introduced them last night he said “Eight boys, and I did say eight – the ultimate octoband.”

Their performance impressed Simon Cowell, who praised the boys for sticking together and added "Any time you want to leave Louis, and come and join me, I'll mentor you."

Bristol teenager Ollie Garland voted off X Factor but Jake Sims and Chloe-Jasmine are safely through

Overload Generation were voted off the X Factor on Sunday night Credit: ITV

It was the battle of the boy bands on this weekend's X Factor. Both bands had members from Bristol.

But it was the end of the road for 19-year-old Ollie Garland from Warmley and his band Overload Generation. Their X Factor journey came to an end on Sunday night when they were voted off the show.

Judges Simon Cowell and Cheryl Fernandez-Versini described their performance in a sing-off with Stephanie Nala as "shockingly bad".

Jake Sims's band Stereo Kicks has sailed through to the next round Credit: ITV

Meanwhile Bristol teenager Jake Sims's band Stereo Kicks is through to the next round of the show.

Both bands, mentored by Louis Walsh, sang hits by Katy Perry. Judge Simon Cowell said they blew Overload Generation off the stage with the performance.

Chloe-Jasmine Whichello from Wells is through to the next round Credit: ITV

Former Wells Cathedral School pupil Chloe-Jasmine Whichello is also through to the next round after she pulled off a fantastic jazz rendition of Britney Spears’ hit ‘Toxic’.


How food parcels have changed over the years

A Red Cross food parcel from World War II. Credit: ITV News West Country

British Red Cross is celebrating its 150th anniversary, and a vital part of the operation is based in the West Country.

The Bristol Emergency Response centre in Warmley has sent out thousands of emergency aid and food parcels over the years.

A modern day food parcel. Credit: ITV News West Country
Children from Wick Primary School finding out how the Red Cross helped during wars. Credit: ITV News West Country

Suspicious device "not being treated as terrorism"

A man arrested in Somerset after the discovery of a suspected explosive device in Warmley in South Gloucestershire has been released on bail.

Police were called to Kenmoor Close on Saturday after suspicious items were found in a shed. 80 homes were evacuated for five hours.

The army detonated one device safely nearby while other items were taken for examination.

I would like to stress that we are not treating this as terrorism. At this stage we do not believe the objects were made with the deliberate intention of causing harm to anyone or anything. However, these objects could have a posed a danger to the local community and I am pleased they have been found and made safe.

Over the past 24 hours we have had good support from the local community and I would like to thank residents for their patience and understanding when they were evacuated for several hours. These decisions are never taken lightly but are necessary to make sure people are safe.

– Detective Chief Inspector Carolyn Belafonte, Avon & Somerset Police
Load more updates