A Bristol man has been handed a six month community order, including a two month curfew, after he admitted fly tipping waste which completely blocked a rural lane in South Gloucestershire.
Wayne Musgrove, 44, of Crow Lane, Henbury, Bristol, appeared before Bristol Crown Court on Thursday 10 March. He pleaded guilty to fly tipping waste, and was given a six month community order with a two month curfew. Musgrove was also ordered to pay £150 court costs.
The court heard that in November last year Musgrove approached the owner of a partly filled tipper truck and asked to borrow the vehicle. He claimed that he was given permission to borrow the truck, on the condition that he deposited the waste at Avonmouth Household Waste Recycling Centre. However, the waste was dumped at night and blocked the entire width of Hollywood Lane in Easter Compton.
“Fly-tipping is a criminal activity and we take a zero tolerance approach to this illegal behaviour. If you fly tip rubbish in South Gloucestershire, you should expect to be caught and prosecuted.
“This particular fly tip blocked the highway for cyclists and motorists with potentially dangerous consequences and was referred from Magistrates’ Court to Crown Court for sentencing due to the seriousness of the offence.
Residents are advised to only give their rubbish to an Environment Agency registered waste carrier or they could be held liable if waste is subsequently fly tipped.”
A damning report has revealed a project to improve recycling in Dorset is millions of pounds over budget.
It also claims contracts worth hundreds of thousands were awarded unlawfully.
Duncan Sleightholme reports
Tax payers in Somerset could be saved hundreds of thousands of pounds a year after the government gave assurances on how much VAT district councils can reclaim from the taxman.
The tax success could mean similar savings for councils in waste partnerships across the country.
Residents in Gloucester have until the end of today to have their say on waste and recycling services in the City.
A survey wants people to give their views on the current service and how it might be improved.
It's part of the Council's plan to send less waste to landfill and encourage people to recycle as much as possible.
People living in Looe say their rubbish is still not being collected properlyRead the full story ›
Cornwall council apologises for rubbish crisisRead the full story ›
Waste collection chiefs have apologised to callers who have been unable to get through on a helpline for missed rubbish collections in Cornwall.
Householders have been phoning Cornwall Council with more than a thousand calls a day about collection problems.
More than 250,000 households have been affected by the changes to collections with some homes reporting their waste hasn't been collected since the changes were introduced.
Julian German from Cornwall Council talks about what is being done to resolve problem of rubbish piling up outside houses.
Jonathan Gibson reports on the thousands of people in Cornwall who say they've been left with rubbish piling up outside their homes after bin collections were missed.
Cornwall Council says it's received 7 thousand complaints since Cory Environmental took over the contract for rubbish collections.
Looe councillor Edwina Hannaford says poor planning is to blame for the piles of rubbish not being collected in Cornwall.
Cornwall Council has received more than 7 thousand complaints about missed bin collections in the last week.